PDA

View Full Version : designer under ubuntu linux

eod mcgrath
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
For the die hard Linux users out there i have found a way to use the designer program with Linux. Before i get too far let me throw out the descliamers. This way has always been there i just now figured it out. second, technically i am running the designer in Windows Via Virtualbox. With that said lets get to the details. My computer runs the latest version of UBUNUTU 9.04 operating system (OS) (It's Free) and i just installed the latest version of VirtualBox 3.08 (free also). Because ubuntu is faster with less threats from viruses i choose to use it. Some of the applications that i use are Windows only much like this designer program. Linux is capable with the use of virtualbox to run widows like a program. You can simply start and stop windows with out affecting the host OS. As the guest OS in Virtualbox i have installed Win XP SPii. With this combo i can run Ubuntu day to day and during the times that i need the Desigener i start windows and then the designer. in this configuration Xp starts faster as it does not need to worry about hardware to run your computer. There are some key points you must know. When you download Ubuntu or any other distrobution there of, pick the 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your computer. For VIrtual box ensure you download the PEULL (NOT FREE) one. NOT FREE does not refer to the cost but rather the right to modify it on the command line level. The Open Source Edition OSE does not support USB's so again download the PEULL . Like Ubuntu you will have to pick the 32 or 64 bit. Once both Linux and Virtualbox is installed you will have to enable the usb. much like this designer is forum based the linux is more so. i hope this helps. One last thing that i forgot to mention is that you can also make you computer duel boot so you must pick the OS at the start up. I have found this to be very cumbersome and slow.

Enjoy
EOD MCGRATH