PDA

View Full Version : 1st Machine Bought

Tom in Eureka
10-12-2009, 09:48 AM
As one of many I am sure who spent time on this forum prior to making the decision it is only right to say thank you to everyone and give a little feedback.

I read all the suggestions on price, place to buy etc., and decided that the 1st machine would be better off bought with the 5 year Sears warranty. I got lucky and one was actually on display in my small Sears store, Check one, actually getting to see the machine and realize it was well built.

They matched the Amazon price when I brought it up....check two.

What really sold me is that from now to Nov 1st, they are offering a 10% rebate on a prepaid Visa card....check three and sold.

Out the door with a five year full in any Sears store warranty (yes I had to pay sales tax but I did it anyway) for about $2,100 plus tax. After the rebate that takes the machine down to about $1,900 with a 5 year full warranty. I read the pros and cons about the extra money for the warranty, but I think as a newbie I will sleep better at night.

As I have gone through the usual....watching all the videos, talking with Connie at the factory (great customer service BTW) to make sure they answere the phone.....and the great forum here....I knew more about the machine than the sales staff did. In fact the demo machine had been sitting in a back room for a month and they were afraid to put it on the floor.....note to Carvewright, train these guys and you will sell machines...anyway, the staff was quite excited about the capability of the machine after I explained what it was.

Have lots of questions, but am sure time will take care of them and looking forward to getting to you.

One final newbie observation. It looks to me like most of the "I am taking it back" posts are from people that may not understand what the word maintenance is, or know a warped board when they see one. If it wasn't a well build machine it wouldn't be in major stores like Sears and Lowes....at least not long.

I have a professional woodshop and see a second machine in my near future, after learning the machine, the inns and out, proper use etc., I feel compfortable that a reconditioned unit will do for the second. Anyway, wanted to give some feedback to the regulars here and let you know that lurkers are listening to you and appreciate your help.

Best
Tom in Eureka

Kenm810
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the CW Forum, your off to a good start by reading all you can about these little beasties.
Your in for some real fun, Check the link near the bottom of my post for more handy info to read. :wink:

fwharris
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Tom,

Homework well done A+!!! Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing some of your work..

cnsranch
10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Glad to have you on the team, Tom...

Make sure you give us a blow by blow of your experiences over the next few months.

c6craig
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Welcome to the group!

Craig

rcdages
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Welcome Tom to the LHR-CW-CC family and forum.

Looking forward to viewing some of your up coming project.

Robert
rcdages

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Welcome... Order a ROCK as soon as you can... Will save you wear and tear on the electronics... Vibration of the L2 Coil and C1 Cap are known problems to name a few... Plus the cut quality will be better....

Like driving your new car on a gravel road.... OR... A smooth paved FREEWAY.... You make the choice..... Why beat up the machine with unnecessary QC vibration when guys like me with over 1000 carving hours know there is a better way.... Buy a ROCK.....

And design a Top Loading Dust Collection hood to go with the Dust Collection you already have in your wood shop.

Good Luck,:mrgreen:

AL

Tom in Eureka
10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you all for the nice welcome. Kind of like a woodworker snuggie.

Yes, I have read about the "rock" and plan to look into it. I thought I would hold off on accessories until Sears got my machine in ready to pick up....few days... Gives me time to read and convice myself I did the right thing. I have made a nice little cabinet home for it. I wanted to bring it in the house but haven't talked my wife into it yet.

cnsranch
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Kind of like a woodworker snuggie.

No, that's what you get when you get a drill bit caught in your shorts.:mrgreen:

DocWheeler
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
No, that's what you get when you get a drill bit caught in your shorts.:mrgreen:

Jerry, I liked that - I guess that I'm as "sick" as you!

Ike
10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Tom I also welcome you and great price, I forgot Sears will price match! Say Tom are you in Eureka Ca? I ask because I buy my redwood from Arcata off 5th and J street. I need to get some more one day!

You wouldn't happen to make doors and buy from Oscar too? again welcome and enjoy you new toy!

Ike

cnsranch
10-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Doc -

Actually saw that happen, 12 years old, best friend's Dad came upstairs with his shorts all wrinkly in front - first time I ever heard the expression "Almost lost the Family Jewels".

Tom in Eureka
10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Tom I also welcome you and great price, I forgot Sears will price match! Say Tom are you in Eureka Ca? I ask because I buy my redwood from Arcata off 5th and J street. I need to get some more one day!

You wouldn't happen to make doors and buy from Oscar too? again welcome and enjoy you new toy!

Ike

Ike, the new growth redwood is everywhere here and cheap, but the good stuff...the old growth ....you have to go to the little back yard mills in the woods to get. All old growth logging is gone and what is left is getting rare and starting to get expensive. The good straight grained clear and burled. I don't use it in production very much as it isn't consistant and I don't have time to let it air dry. I do buy quite a bit of reclaimed old growth in the form of boards from homes torn down. The wood cut back in the 1880s, been sitting for over a hundred years. That stuff is very cheap and after you work it a bit nice project wood. But again for production, not always available.

It is also getting expensive enough that people are dredging the river bottoms for old growth logs and bringing them up. I just saw a pallet of it and some pretty nice wood, not too bad about $3 a board foot. If you want a lead to a private little mill pm me. below pics of fence boards and burled redwood under it example a shelf I made. You can't beat the old growth for color.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/tomineureka/redwoodtwotier2.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/tomineureka/oldboards.jpg

Tom

liquidguitars
10-13-2009, 10:06 AM
I just picked up some cedar 8/4 at my lumber store with a very close grain pattern. Looks like some i cut back in the 80's in Oregon.

Ike
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Ike, the new growth redwood is everywhere here and cheap, but the good stuff...the old growth ....you have to go to the little back yard mills in the woods to get. All old growth logging is gone and what is left is getting rare and starting to get expensive. The good straight grained clear and burled. I don't use it in production very much as it isn't consistant and I don't have time to let it air dry. I do buy quite a bit of reclaimed old growth in the form of boards from homes torn down. The wood cut back in the 1880s, been sitting for over a hundred years. That stuff is very cheap and after you work it a bit nice project wood. But again for production, not always available.

It is also getting expensive enough that people are dredging the river bottoms for old growth logs and bringing them up. I just saw a pallet of it and some pretty nice wood, not too bad about $3 a board foot. If you want a lead to a private little mill pm me. below pics of fence boards and burled redwood under it example a shelf I made. You can't beat the old growth for color.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/tomineureka/redwoodtwotier2.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/tomineureka/oldboards.jpg

Tom

Tom reclaimed old growth is all I buy. I do get get it from a private mill in Acata. I still have some left a bunch of 6" material.

Yes old growth is the best!

Here is some I have

Ike

Tom in Eureka
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Tom reclaimed old growth is all I buy. I do get get it from a private mill in Acata. I still have some left a bunch of 6" material.

Yes old growth is the best!

Here is some I have

Ike

Nice grain. There are a lot of little cedar mills on the road from Crescent City into Grants Pass if you ever get up this far north.

Ok, I have to see if I can figure out how to post pictures here. Please bear, bare with me.

Chief
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Tom,

What in the world is that "thing" in the lower photo? It looks like it came from a junkyard or maybe an artifact from CSI.