PDA

View Full Version : cut motor fault

icebite1
10-12-2009, 08:34 AM
getting message to " check cut motor ". anybody know what that means and /or what to do? have 35 hrs. 43 mins. on machine without a hint of trouble, about 10 months old. was finishing maple leaf projece with 10% to go and opened cover to vacumn dust out. after cover was closed and enter pushed the fault came on. removed project and cleaned machine,didnt see anything amiss. loaded new project and get same fault after it goes through measuring process.can turn motor by hand ok . now what?

icebite1
10-12-2009, 08:43 AM
forgot to say i tried turning motor while in sensor check and i did get a number reading and that i get no restart by pushing enter, motor will not start.

dbfletcher
10-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I would check the switch on the cover at the far end of the keypad (if facing the cover, the switch on the right). That switch controls the cut motor. If it is bad or unplugged, you will get thoses symptoms.

Doug Fletcher

icebite1
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks doug, i assume you are refering to the cover switch. in sensor check it works ok. also machine will start carving without bit turning, it just drags it on board.

bjbethke
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
thanks doug, i assume you are refering to the cover switch. in sensor check it works ok. also machine will start carving without bit turning, it just drags it on board.
It could still be the switch, my machine's sensor still checks OK with that switch open, and the other switch closed.

DocWheeler
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Or something as simple as the bullet connectors not pushed together well enough.

bjbethke
10-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Or something as simple as the bullet connectors not pushed together well enough.
You can also put a short jumper across those two connectors to check the motor and switch.

icebite1
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
tried jumper, same results. it is going into carve prrocess even tho motor isnt running

bjbethke
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
tried jumper, same results. it is going into carve prrocess even tho motor isnt running
You may need to get out your Volt Meter and troubleshot the motor.

icebite1
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
ok, called carvewright tec. went thru pretty much all the trouble shoothing that was suggested here including volt and ohm checks.,took about 45 min on phone, tec thinks motor bad. sending me new one .supposed to have by end of week. im a little skeptical as to why it tries to carve when there are no motor rpm's , would seem more like a board malfunction, o well we will see. i will post results after new motor is installed. thanks everyone for the help

bjbethke
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
ok, called carvewright tec. went thru pretty much all the trouble shoothing that was suggested here including volt and ohm checks.,took about 45 min on phone, tec thinks motor bad. sending me new one .supposed to have by end of week. im a little skeptical as to why it tries to carve when there are no motor rpm's , would seem more like a board malfunction, o well we will see. i will post results after new motor is installed. thanks everyone for the help
Your machine is not carving if the main drive motor is not running, the only part working is that your X,Y, and Z drive motors are working. The motor that drives your bit is not part of that function. It could be a bad brush in the motor, if you are getting voltage to the motor.

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Before you install the motor remove the bottom plate and check the C1 Capacitor on the X Termination board for a broken lead....

Unplug machine first.

Caused by the QC Vibration, like the L2 coil on the power supply board the weight of the Capacitor vibrates and the copper wire bends until it fails.

AL

Termite
10-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I just had the same problem with my Compoocarve::mrgreen:. I put in a new set of brushes and bench tested to still no go. I slammed the motor (gentle slam - come on guys we have all done that before out of frustration LOL) and the motor started and stopped. I took the motor apart and found one of the wires from the brush holder was off the tab. Only problem was there was only about 1/16" of tab left. So I slipped the connector on the tab and soldered it.
Bench tested it and it worked. I put everything back together and it has been running okay.
I bought my machine in Feb. of 07 so I also had to deal with the magnate and the cracked plastic motor housing but that is another story. It is working so that is all that counts. I wonder if they consider a cracked motor housing a rebuildable core?
Thought I would throw this out in case anybody had cut motor problems. Something to check.

Dan
PS: If you bench test the motor hold on to it - it has one heck of a kick.

DocWheeler
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
PS: If you bench test the motor hold on to it - it has one heck of a kick.

Should we ask how you know that, or what your experience was?

Termite
10-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Should we ask how you know that, or what your experience was?

Experience. I wasn't expecting the torque that the little motor has and how fast it reves up. Just a warning if anybody tries this, hold on to it. Now I understand how the plastic motor housing cracks. Soft start like they have on routers might help the cracking of the plastic motor casing.

Dan

icebite1
10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks everyone for additional suggestions, went thru the capacitor checks with the tec on the phone, they were ok, i relize that the machine is not carving if the motor isnt running i only said it was trying to. ie: bit actually removing wood while being moved accross the project befor i could shut it off. am going to remove the motor tonight and will check as suggested. thanks again for suggestions

jjack9485
10-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I had the same problem a couple of times last week. Tapping on the cut motor started the motor. Call LHR and they said it was the brushes. Ordered two sets as they were only $5 per set. I don't know how hard to put them in. They were to send instructions but failed to do so.

jack

fwharris
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I had the same problem a couple of times last week. Tapping on the cut motor started the motor. Call LHR and they said it was the brushes. Ordered two sets as they were only $5 per set. I don't know how hard to put them in. They were to send instructions but failed to do so.

jack

Jack,

Here is a post from Mr. Faithful (Al) on the cut motor. Everything one needs to know about the cut motor..

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4274&highlight=cut+motor+brushes

icebite1
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Al, if you go to "sticky" troubleshooting threads page 3 #18 thread i think you will find access to cut motor service, the tec ruled out brushes said they should be good for around 200 hrs. doesnt mean they couldnt be stuck, BJ said to check brushes also. ill know more when i get motor off, charlie

Digitalwoodshop
10-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Al, if you go to "sticky" troubleshooting threads page 3 #18 thread i think you will find access to cut motor service, the tec ruled out brushes said they should be good for around 200 hrs. doesnt mean they couldnt be stuck, BJ said to check brushes also. ill know more when i get motor off, charlie

Icebite1,

I will go to the "Sticky" and check it out. Your never too old to learn something new.... Especially Tomorrow my Birthday....

I have learned so much since the 2007 post on the Cut Motors.... :mrgreen:

AL

c6craig
10-13-2009, 09:20 PM
AL -

Happy Birthday in advance!!! I for one would like to thank you for all you have contributed to the forums and all the great information you have shared. Your tutorials and advice have saved my bacon more than I care to admit...

Hope you have a great day and everyone treats you well...

Craig

icebite1
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
wire from outer coil where brush wire plugs in came out. probably wasnt inserted all the way to begin with. these are friction conections so if not securely inserted they will come loose. i reinserted wire making sure it just protruded from other side then pushed down on connector, that locked it in good. reinserted brush connector and reassembled everything. up and running. one observatiom was that there was a fair amount of dust packed inside motor housing, probably not good for getting rid of motor heat. i dont see any way of removing this dust in the future short of disassembling motor, something you dont want to have to do. hope my pic can be seen ok, note wire at lower right is out. charlie