PDA

View Full Version : y-motor pack adjustment

davidbf
10-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Good morning again fellow broken maching owners. I have just replaced all the bearings on the y-truck in my machine. When reassembling it the instructions said the y-pack motor may need to be adjusted but, failed to say how to do this. I have looked thru the website where I got the directions to do the bearings but cannot find anything on adjusting the y-motor pack.
Does anyone know how this is done ?
Or will i have to spend $25.00 to ask Carvewright ?
I don't see any way to do it so will one of you guys straighten me out.
Thanks
Davidbf

AskBud
10-12-2009, 07:32 AM
The adjustment is an option, if you hear a noise. My guess is they are talking about the fact that the gear cogs may not be meshing correctly.
AskBud

From the PDF:
Test the Y-truck: Move the Y-truck back and forth along its entire travel range. The Y-truck should move smoothly and quietly along the rails. If the travel is jerky, stiff, or otherwise not smooth you check the belt tension. If noises are heard coming from the motor pack assembly it may indicate whether the motor pack needs adjustment.

davidbf
10-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks Bud
I will check that before i finish putting it back together but the only noise I can hear is the sound of the motor turning.
Thanks for the help

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
The Y Motor is held in place by 2 bolts in the black frame. The Black Frame has a U Shaped Cut that the BIG gear extends through where the belt rides on the gear. There is some slop in the holes that the bolts use plus in the gear box. I believe the adjustment they are talking about is centering the smooth part of the big gear between the belt and gear box to prevent the smooth part of the gear from rubbing on the black U Shaped Channel when under tension.

The other end of the belt is held by a spring and screw and snug is all that is needed as the spring provided the correct adjustment of tension. The Screw on top of the right bracket should be snug too, it also holds the paper cover over the cut motor wire box.

Inside the gear box are 2 screws that hold the motor to the gear box. They have some adjustment to mesh the big plastic gear to the metal shaft of the motor. Look that over too.... Twist forward and backward and look for lost motion when it changes direction indicating the shaft and gear need to be adjusted to mesh tighter....

More FREE advice from the Folks at DigitalWoodshop, "Me, Myself, and I"....:mrgreen:

AL

RabidRed
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
With the power off, I can't budge the y axis. I have blown it out and lubed the track. I get a ratcheting sound when I fire up the machine and it stops with a y axis error. It look like the belt holder on the control side it not free. Other wise I see nothing wrong with the track.

PCW
10-14-2009, 05:30 PM
After you visually check for chips in the Y belt/bearings.

What I would do is loosen up the tensioner on the Y axle. If you look at the belt that runs the Y axle the tensioner is on the end at the opposite end of the motor. There is a phillip's screw on top that has to be loosen relieving the tension. Remove the belt and test the Y movement with the power off. This can be done with the top cover on if you have a stubby phillip's screw driver.

If it is still tight the problem is most likely in the Y bearings.

If free move over to the motor and test the movement. If the gears are stiff follow the next step.

First off look at the Y gears through the clear plastic cover on the left side of machine to see if there is any gears that are chipped or mislined while rotating.

1. Take off the top cover
2. Loosen the two screws on the front side of motor that mount the motor. Don't take the nuts off just loosen.
3. Lift the motor straight up and off and disconnect the belt. Check the motor to see if it is free.

Hopefully you don't need to go this far.:D

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Either the roller bearings on the Y have a dust lump on the rollers or rails or the bearing have frozen up...... When I got machine 4 in the mail the head was frozen in the Y Direction. I had to thump it a few times to get it to move... Then it was fine.... I will be looking at the bearings soon to be sure they are OK.

AL

dcalvin4
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Either the roller bearings on the Y have a dust lump on the rollers or rails or the bearing have frozen up...... When I got machine 4 in the mail the head was frozen in the Y Direction. I had to thump it a few times to get it to move... Then it was fine.... I will be looking at the bearings soon to be sure they are OK.

AL

Al my machine works perfect , but after reading all these coments about the y , the quirosity got to me and i had to check mine. power off , and unplugged the y doesnt move.....weird huh so does this mean leave it alone or try to make the adjustments .i do believe in preventative maintenance but maybe this is ok?
denny
p.s. my wife tells me im not mechanicly declined

dbfletcher
10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
I dont know if this is 100% accurate, but it is my experience. If I turn of my cw right after a project and then try to move the Y... it will ether resist greatly or be jerky. When I come back the next day, the Y moved freely with no jerkyness. I have always just attributed it to some residual power and/or magnatism left in the motor coils before it all has a chance to bleed off. Again, this isnt something I do evertime.. but I do remember a few occasions when I was vacuming the CW after a carve and the truck would not roll freely along the Y. I would say... "looks like I better do some mantainance tomorrow..."... and then when I would look the next day, everything would seem smooth.

Take the for what is it worth.... may totally be in my head.

Doug Fletcher