PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Griz64
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Not really sure where to put this so I figured I would put it where the most traffic is. If this needs to be moved feel free and I understand. Ok so here are my questions. Do you guys stain / paint the back of your carving knowing it probably wont be seen? What do you guys use after staining a project to protect it? I was using poly but would like to find something that I can spray on and will not change the appearance (shade of stain) and is quick. btw here is a quicky project I am particularly fond of. I think it turned out great what do you guys think?

WRW
10-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Just checken posts before shuting down for the night. Glad I did, That looks great. I would like to answer your finishing questions, but I am just learning stains and fisishes my self.
Look forward to seeing future projects.

Ike
10-12-2009, 01:14 AM
First off very cool project well done! What I do with my signs for background color may it be for around raised lettering or recess letters. I spray black paint and using my planer plane off the non wanted paint. Or sand off and I use a water based poly and with my HVLP sprayer spray my signs.

I have been using Cabot waterbased poly I bought from Lowes. With polyurethane it goes on clear and with not yellow white paint or change the stain color.

Hope that made sense and helped/

Ike

want2b
10-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Really like your project, especially the name. My Lauren is a little younger, grandaughter 12/19/97.
Like Ike I use my HVLP for a lot of things, use spray Poly and Lacquer depending on how the project will be used. Often for small projects I used aerosal cans, Lowes has both Poly & Lacquer in spray cans. Nor real expensive and saves on cleanup of the sprayer. I get a spray shellac at the locat Ace which I use when trying to match an old finish or if trying to make it look older.
I personally stain the back of almost everything and give it one coat of finish. I think it looks better and think the finish helps keep moisture out. Probably not a big deal just figured it couldn't hurt, might help.
Rick H.