PDA

View Full Version : head will not go up!

hess
10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
the head is about 2 inch from the bottom and will not crank up, when you try to crank down the handle clicks like it is down on the wood

The shop is cool but the other unit moves up and down freely

any ideas

The red lock lever is closed

Ike
10-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Hess on each front rod or head guy( can't think of the technical term) is a hole you can insert a allen wrench or small screw driver and back the head up or down.

See if that works, the head may be uneven, plus if it is too cold it will not work correctly.

Ike

Ike
10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Head post is what it is called I think? Anyway check to see if the head is even, if not open the bottom and check the tie rod gears.

Ike

robbrigg2
10-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Head post is what it is called I think? Anyway check to see if the head is even, if not open the bottom and check the tie rod gears.

Ike

Hess...

Mine did this just yestarday. It happens when the head is uneaven OR when the rod that ties the gears which drive the head up and down gets stuck. Open the bottom up and see if the rod that goes front to back has movement. It should have a little play. If it doesn't you need to remove it and reinstall. WHile your at it though check to ensure that the head is level and this is the time to do it. Reinstall and it should work fine. Also make sure you grease the rails and gears.

Rob

henry1
10-12-2009, 05:58 AM
here is a link you can go to
http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf

hess
10-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks all. it was in a janed state almost all the way dowm

when I went to remove the top bolts it release its selfe and works fine now cleaned and lubed all rod above and below and ts back as smooth as ever. Thanks for all the help you all have a good CD holiday