PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Newbie - Any Advice?

c6craig
10-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

As the topic says , I picked up yesterday an Earlex Spray Station Pro 5000. I have never used a spray finisher before and realize it will take alot of practice on the massive amount of scap wood I have laying around. (Finally those 3" pieces from the board ends are good for something :) ).

It seems pretty straightforward but does anyone have any advice or gotcha's on using these? The main reason I got this is because I am not so good at finishing with stains and poly, thought this may help.

I've searched and researched but the what tips to use and if and how much to thin the material seems to escape me. I guess it's trial and error?

Thanks for all replies,
Craig

eromran
10-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi all,

As the topic says , I picked up yesterday an Earlex Spray Station Pro 5000. I have never used a spray finisher before and realize it will take alot of practice on the massive amount of scap wood I have laying around. (Finally those 3" pieces from the board ends are good for something :) ).

It seems pretty straightforward but does anyone have any advice or gotcha's on using these? The main reason I got this is because I am not so good at finishing with stains and poly, thought this may help.

I've searched and researched but the what tips to use and if and how much to thin the material seems to escape me. I guess it's trial and error?

Thanks for all replies,
CraigTry this link there are a lot of videos on the use use of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXAaJbrrX8 or go to youtube and type in Earlex Spray Station Pro 5000 and it will give you plenty of videos.Hope this helps.

c6craig
10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks Eromran,

The computer is out in the shop with two carvewrights running full steam so I can't hear anything right now :)

I will check these out tonight and see if I can learn a thing or two.

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
My only advice is to invest into a good quality Resperator.... A Lung Transplant is WAY more Expensive......

AL

Ike
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all replies,
Craig

Craig, let me know how you like it. I have one and wasn't that pleased with it. It must be clean very well, that isn't a problem at home. But when I am on the road with the sign shop I don't have time to clean it between use. I have been using the HVLP sprayers from Harbor Freight and they work great. Plus I have an extra spray pot I keep water in to give it a quick cleaning. I use water based finish.

Anyway let us know how you like it. Set your volume low and spray slowly for best results.

Ike

c6craig
10-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks Guys,

I think I am just going to have to play with it a bit to see if it does me any good.

Ike - I don't mind cleaning it well as I don't travel and am only a garage hobbyist. Plenty of practice cleaning and tearing down with the carvewright has taught me patience :) I just looked at the Harbor Freight ones and they look like just guns that you need to use a compressor with. That was the main attraction for me on this unit as garage space is at such a premium I don't know where I would put a compressor. I just ordered a full size dust collector and have no idea where I'm gonna put that beast yet...I'll let you know how I do with the Earlex. Thanks for your comments.

Al - Thanks, I plan on getting a better one now that I have read your comments and watched some videos. I had no idea these things were that bad. I plan on using mine out in the backyard, so I just assumed it would be the equal to using a can of spray paint.

Eromran - Thanks for the link, not much in the way specifically on the Earlex, but there were two 3 part reviews that were interesting to watch. Both were very favorable so hopefully it should be a good enough unit for my talent status of "hack" :)

Thanks as always guys, this forum has always been a great place for me to get info and I appreciate it.

Craig

Ike
10-12-2009, 01:24 AM
[QUOTE=c6craig;106377]Thanks Guys,

Ike - I don't mind cleaning it well as I don't travel and am only a garage hobbyist. Plenty of practice cleaning and tearing down with the carvewright has taught me patience :) I just looked at the Harbor Freight ones and they look like just guns that you need to use a compressor with. That was the main attraction for me on this unit as garage space is at such a premium I don't know where I would put a compressor. I just ordered a full size dust collector and have no idea where I'm gonna put that beast yet...I'll let you know how I do with the Earlex. Thanks for your comments.

Graig, I am talking about a sprayer just like the Earlex. This sprayer uses the same type vacuum for a blower and is a self contained unit. What I like is it cost $89.00 and at times on sale for $49.00. Plus I like the way it sprays, like I said I have the same Earlex like your unit and the cheap one seems to have a better gun.

But I only use it with water based poly and have not tried any oil based finishes. So the Earlex may be better with oil based products?

Here is a photo of the HF sprayer.

Ike

c6craig
10-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Ike -

Any chance you could give me a part number off that unit? I looked around at HF and only saw guns that were powered by air compressors. Maybe just a brain freeze on my side.

Hopefully this Earlex unit will do what I want but it's always good to have a backup plan :) Especially when it's 1/3 the price (or less)....

Thanks,
Craig