PDA

View Full Version : Floor Vent

Shacky
10-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I am thinking I might like to make some nice floor vents for my house as we have a forced hot air system with floor vents on the first floor.

Seems like it should be fairly easy to make something that looks nice but I am wondering if it is possible to make louvers in the vent. Not operating, just carved louvers. I've a attached a picture that should make it clear if my explanation didn't.

Anyone have any experience with what I am talking about?

Thanks,

Scott

dbfletcher
10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
This subject came up a few weeks ago. Here is a link to that post.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12778&highlight=diffuser

Doug Fletcher

Shacky
10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks, I didn't see that thread and I am glad I'm not the only person who thought of it (maybe I'm not crazy.)

The thing is though, that most of the ones I have seen, like the picture I posted, has louvers to direct the airflow to the right and left of the floor vent. Can the machine carve such a thing?

Again, I am a complete newbie. (I think I even posted in the wrong section....sorry.)

EDIT: Well the more I look at that pattern, it does have angled vents. Perfect, thanks!

Shacky
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Dan-Woodman
10-09-2009, 09:25 PM
You could also make it like a shutter for your windows , only small
Cut 2 stiles,stand them on edge and program the angled slots in the edge. Then cut thins slats for the slots.
later Daniel

Shacky
10-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I tried making this, but the thin vent pieces broke during carving.

Any suggestions?

Kenm810
10-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Possibly reducing the number of slots to increase the size of the stock between them.

AskBud
10-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Directs Air to the left and right :wink:

Wood Floor Register.mpc (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26384&d=1253110298)

Hi Ken,
You MPC shows the grain going the length of the vent. It would be much stronger, if the design were rotated 90 degrees so the grain would go across the piece. Your photo shows that way, but the MPC is 90 degrees off.
AskBud

Shacky
11-01-2009, 12:32 PM
So, I am getting ready to try this again. When I select the project at the machine, I get the following message:

"The 90 degree V bit will have problems carving the "vector" operation to the depth selected. Please edit and upload the project again."

I chose "ignore" the first time and as I said earlier, the spaces between the vents were mostly broke when I aborted the project. Is the warning message related to that problem? Does the project need some editing?

I'm attaching the mpc I'm working from.

Kenm810
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
You could reduce the depth of the V-Groove bit, with out loosing much efficiency of the directional vents.
Plus -- as mentioned above, cutting the slots with the grain or cutting fewer slots will add to the vents over all strength.

In the copy of the MPC below I reduced the V-Groove depth form .50 to .375, I still have not tried to carved this project myself.

DocWheeler
11-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Shacky,

As KenM said, there is no strength left in the cross pieces with the grain going that direction. And, I would like to add that there will be little strength in the long "frame" members going the other way, so I don't see this as a good CW/CC project unless you want to route the angled grooves in the frame sides with the CW/CC and assemble the parts with the grain going the strongest directions.

Just my thoughts; it is a shame that won't work because it would be really cool!

TIMCOSBY
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
on wall wents or ceiling vents.

earlyrider
11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
How about trying it in Baltic birch ply? You could add a veneer on top for the wood you want.
Ron

Eagle Hollow
11-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Glue pieces up with the stiles running length ways and the rails running the entire length of the center.

Just my thoughts...I'm gonna try it although you can buy the oak vents for under $10. Counting design time, shop time and carving time, one would need to price them in the $50 range!

Jerry