PDA

View Full Version : Dust

hess
10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Well I had always been told that dust can cause problems.

I suck and blow the crap each day out of the shop and each week moved all the crap around and clean.

I had a fire burning on some old stumps when I got the great idea to clean out the shop vac buy throwing the dust on the fire........ man that stuff went up like black powder. could not believe it would go that fast.

So.. that gives raise to my question. What do you all use for heat in the colder times.

eromran
10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
A year or so ago there was a really good thread on using the saw dust to make logs out off. i just never got around to it. it seems like it was al or ken that had posted it they were using a log splitter or some kind of ram to compress there mixture. maybe someone will remember the thread.

ajk
10-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I Use The Wood Chip For My Plants. And My Landscape. Look Beautiful.

Kenm810
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Ed,

This might be the Thread you mentioned about the Dust and Chips.

What do you do with the sawdust?... (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5484&highlight=fire+logs)

eromran
10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Wow thats been almost 2 years but yes thanks for the link Ken that was it ill bookmark it this time. Its almost time to try it this year.

want2b
10-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Hesstx
So.. that gives raise to my question. What do you all use for heat in the colder times.

Just got done servicing all my heaters. For the house I have an oil furnace & a pellet furnace which has a thermostat & holds 160 lbs. They share the ductwork. For my shop I use a small electric early on to take the chill off, move to a small propane mounted on the tank & when it gets cold I have a wood furnace with ductwork & fans that sits in a small metal room attached to the back of the shop. Originally used it for the house so it is oversized, fortunately it has a thermostat on the door to control the air intake and I can keep the heat down. Occasionally I forget to back it off once the fire gets going and end up with the door open to cool down. Wife says it's another one of my senior moments?
Rick H

fwharris
10-11-2009, 12:23 PM
This is what I use in my shop/garage. It is an over sized 2 stall garage. One stall for the LOML car and the rest is my work/storage area.

For just taking the chill out I use the electric Dayton. It has an adjustable thermostat so it will cycle on and off to maintain the temp. If the out side temp stays in the 30 and below range I will set in on the low setting over night and it will usually be around 45 when I go in the shop the next morning.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3VU34

For the frigid days way below freezing I will fire up the propane heater for about 15-20 minutes to get the shop up to 70-75 and then shut it down and use the elect. heater to maintain the temp. I keep it far away from the actual work area and will make sure the shop door is cracked open for fresh air ventilation.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100672868/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

One thing that has really helped to keep the shop warm is I blew in a good 8 to 10 inches of insulation in the ceiling. $$$ well spent as before doing this I would have to fire up the gas unit more often to keep things warm. Now just once first thing in the morning and then I am set for the rest of the day.

Safety not on all of this is to have a dust collection system to keep the dust down. If not one could have a situation like Hess reported. Wood dust has the same potential as flour dust. When ignited it will go off like a bomb..

WRW
10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi Hesstx

In my shop, which is two car garage (no cars allowed) I use natrual gas radiant heater. There is no open flame any where so no chance of dust flash.
And always toasty warm.

bjbethke
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Well I had always been told that dust can cause problems.

I suck and blow the crap each day out of the shop and each week moved all the crap around and clean.

I had a fire burning on some old stumps when I got the great idea to clean out the shop vac buy throwing the dust on the fire........ man that stuff went up like black powder. could not believe it would go that fast.

I use wood heat in both of my shops. The large shop has an Ashley Heater, I store lumber in it (24x24 foot). One side is a Green House, I use it to dry lumber, I have an old pot belly stove in that side, but I haven’t used that for years. The other side has my larger shop equipment (images one and two) Hope to sort through all the lumber I cut this summer and store it in that shop, will burn lots of the junk wood.

The shop I have my Carve Wright in (12x12 with a four foot deck and a loft), I use a Vogelzang wood stove. That stove kept us alive for the two weeks during the Ice Storm we had last January. It takes up a lot of space but it keeps the place nice and warm. I do need some warm days to clean out the Ash once a month, but it works. It was great for cooking our food and making coffee. We lost the power during that time.

I use my saw dust to start my fires, just fill a brown paper bag with the wood chips – add a few logs and strike a match, it works every time. Don’t seal the bag or it will go “POOF” that puts out a lot of smoke.

pkunk
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I Use The Wood Chip For My Plants. And My Landscape. Look Beautiful.
Be aware that uncomposted wood chips/sawdust will leach all the nitrogen from your soil.

wasacop75
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey BJB:
Getting ready for the upcoming ice storms this year?
ITs snowing early... looks like we are in for a long winter
in the ozarks......

;)

AskBud
10-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Looks like Al Gore forgot to tell someone, higher up, about Global warming.
AskBud

bjbethke
10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey BJB:
Getting ready for the upcoming ice storms this year?
ITs snowing early... looks like we are in for a long winter
in the ozarks......

;)
Not ready yet, but I may purchase this unit. The switching box would be about another $200.00. Hope to sell enough lumber by January.

jiml
10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
When it starts getting cold here (in the 50's) I just close the door.:)

hess
10-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I use wood heat in both of my shops. The large shop has an Ashley Heater, I store lumber in it (24x24 foot). One side is a Green House, I use it to dry lumber, I have an old pot belly stove in that side, but I haven’t used that for years. The other side has my larger shop equipment (images one and two) Hope to sort through all the lumber I cut this summer and store it in that shop, will burn lots of the junk wood.

The shop I have my Carve Wright in (12x12 with a four foot deck and a loft), I use a Vogelzang wood stove. That stove kept us alive for the two weeks during the Ice Storm we had last January. It takes up a lot of space but it keeps the place nice and warm. I do need some warm days to clean out the Ash once a month, but it works. It was great for cooking our food and making coffee. We lost the power during that time.

I use my saw dust to start my fires, just fill a brown paper bag with the wood chips – add a few logs and strike a match, it works every time. Don’t seal the bag or it will go “POOF” that puts out a lot of smoke.

I wish I had a wood furnace when I lived up in Nixa I had an outside one you stoke that sucker once a day only paid around a grand for it back then. TX is strange I have a 2 story Victorian and no fireplace!!!

been using torpedo heater when it get down low and propane 2 element on the tank for the most part The big shop or garage is 24 X 40 with no ceilings so no insulation

The shop I keep the carvers in is 14 X 24 and insulated. we dont get that ice stuff like you all but it can get damp and cool

hogiewan
10-13-2009, 08:32 AM
When it starts getting cold here (in the 50's) I just close the door.:)

Yep - in Louisiana, the body heat from one person in a closed room is plenty for the harshest of winters

Woodhacker
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
And, here in west central Florida, ya NEVER have to shut the door...lol

Kenm810
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Here in Michigan, in a month or so, we'll be trying to Find the Door!! :sad:

dcalvin4
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Here in Michigan, in a month or so, we'll be trying to Find the Door!! :sad:

here in northern ohio it gets cold , I use a wood burner and use the outside door for my thermostat
denny

SteveEJ
10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
And, here in west central Florida, ya NEVER have to shut the door...lol

How do ya keep the Air Conditioning in? hahaha