PDA

View Full Version : Skipping

mailman
05-10-2006, 03:23 AM
I was carving the jewelry box that was entered on the forum by yenne (I thank yenne for that too) and was carving two sides and one end on a single piece of wood. After the machine stopped after carving the second side there was one small piece that had not been carved. Somehow the machine had skipped this piece. Can anyone tell me what happened and what I need to do for it not to happen again?

thanks

John
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
One possibility. Check the alignment on the traction belts. One, or both may have tracked off to one side or the other and jammed momentarily.

yenne
05-10-2006, 11:24 AM
My first suggestion is to check the bottom of that piece to see if there's a knot or chunk missing on the bottom edge. Any time the tracking roller loses contact with the bottom of the board you risk an offset problem like the one you pictured. Is the board warped? In what order did you carve those pieces -- was the skip on the last carving or the middle one?

Sometimes a flat board becomes warped as material is removed, especially one with a high carving percentage like the one you picture.

Let me know if the bottom edges look fine, and I'll ping the hardware guys on why this might have happened.

mailman
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
The board is flat and there are 2 knots in it, but they are smooth with the level of the board. They are not loose.

The long side of the box (at the bottom of the picture) was the first piece carved, the piece that has the skip was the second and then the short end of the box - last. The piece of wood was not removed from the machine for the 3 carvings.

yenne
05-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Just following up -- has this happened again?

mailman
05-16-2006, 11:31 PM
It has happened again (twice). I have the carvewright boxed up and ready to ship back to you. I have had multiple problems and it is being returned to the shop. Thanks for checking up.

bobreda
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I know its been awhile, but I would like to know the outcome of this particuliar item. I have had one skip on me just like this. I was at the end of a 7 hr carve. I would hate to do this again and have the same thing happen.

Bob

BobHill
09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Bob,

When you (or others) had that happen, did you by any chance put the same piece back in and try to recut it to see if it would pick up the holiday this time? I did that when I lost power about 3/4 way through a piece one time, and the repeat worked great, although it went through the same process and started right from the beginning and went through each cutting step even though there was nothing there for it to cut until it came to the place I wished it to finish. I didn't distroy a thing and finally did finish the work. I didn't save any time, but i sure saved having to use more wood.

Bob Hill
Tampa Flordia

pkunk
09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Bob,

When you (or others) had that happen, did you by any chance put the same piece back in and try to recut it to see if it would pick up the holiday this time? I did that when I lost power about 3/4 way through a piece one time, and the repeat worked great, although it went through the same process and started right from the beginning and went through each cutting step even though there was nothing there for it to cut until it came to the place I wished it to finish. I didn't distroy a thing and finally did finish the work. I didn't save any time, but i sure saved having to use more wood.

Bob Hill
Tampa Flordia
We're pirating this thread, but... I've done the same thing and not just from a power failure, but on occasion too much dust will get into the cover switch and I'll get a close cover error in the middle of a project. Happened today, quick vacuum, puff of air and start over. Good as new! :D

BobHill
09-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I was also thinking that by restarting (and cleaning as necessary) perhaps this could discount the skip being caused by something under the wood piece, thus avoiding having to either work with another wood, or that the machine is malfunctioning from some mechanical problem.I got a 328 error (board sensor needed cleaning due to heavy sawdust making in project). I sure like the way that the CW has accuracy or redoing the same project over on the same wood without error in cutting, though. As with you, it works great.

Bob

bobreda
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I finally got through it. It had something to do with using cherry and the infared sensors during the measuring process. Once again, I can not thank the carvewright people with all their help. I put some masking tape on the ends of the cherry and it worked just fine.

Bob

BobHill
09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for that one, Bob. Since cherry is one of my favorites, it's a good one to remember.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida