PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Text

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know why if I open a project with Centerline text, and edit the text, sometimes the resulting textbox will be very skewed on the screen? I'm making some simple toumbstones for halloween and 70% of the when I even just change the name.. the textbox will end up being 4-5x in size of the original.

I'll attach one if you want to see if it happens to any of you.

Thanks,

Doug Fetcher

PCW
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Doug,

It looks fine to me with the exception of the year 2009.;)

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Did you try editing the centerline... change it to you name and you'll see (maybe) that the resulting text box is nowhere near the original size... even if you name is "close to the same size" (actual size not number of letters).

Doug Fletcher

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
duh... im a moron.... i might as well just post screenshot on what happens to me when i edit the text....

I guess I need more caffine.. I'll post pics in a few.

Doug Fletcher

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Here are two screen shots. I changed "Doug" to "Alice"

Doug Fletcher

PCW
10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Doug,

I see what you mean and changing the text does make it stretched out. That is a first time for me seeing that one. Designer automatically changed the font to engravers MT (just on your name and dates). Weird:confused:

AskBud
10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I think your problem is that you have rotated the text to 270.
Try putting it back to "0" prior to changing the text, and moving the text so it is all within the design.
Now use the Icons for LAYOUT > FLIP?ROTATE > 90, instead of going to 270 the way you accomplished the first task.
AskBud

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Like I said.. it doesnt do it all the time... I wish I could figure out why/when/how it does though. This is one of thoses times where I wish you could choose "landscape" or "portrait" for board orientation too. I hate being forced to rotate all the time.

Doug Fletcher

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Try putting it back to "0" prior to changing the text, and moving the text so it is all within the design.
Now use the Icons for LAYOUT > FLIP?ROTATE > 90, instead of going to 270 the way you accomplished the first task.
AskBud

hmm... I play with that... I was thinking when you do the "flip/rotate" the end result was just setting the angle... I'll look. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Doug Fletcher

dbfletcher
10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
AskBud

Bud,

I played around using your suggestion last nite. But I dont see a difference. After I do the layout/flip/rotate 90 ccw, the text still skews sometimes and the agnle is always set to 270. Am I misunderstanding your instructions?

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
10-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Bud,

I played around using your suggestion last nite. But I dont see a difference. After I do the layout/flip/rotate 90 ccw, the text still skews sometimes and the agnle is always set to 270. Am I misunderstanding your instructions?

Doug Fletcher

Change your text while it is in the "0" position, then rotate.
AskBud

dbfletcher
10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Bud,

I've done that. Doesnt make a difference. On the rotate, sometimes it is ok.. sometimes it changes drastically.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
10-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Bud,

I've done that. Doesnt make a difference. On the rotate, sometimes it is ok.. sometimes it changes drastically.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Maybe we will have to live with it.
It does seem easier to control the large change by going back to zero, and bringing the entire box back on the board, prior to the text change though.
AskBud

dbfletcher
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Ya... I guess I'll just suck it up and live with it. Does seem odd that it isnt consistent though. And I can seem to figure out a rhyme or reason for how it decide's to scale on a text change.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
As for Scaling, it will always tell you on the LCD that it wants to scale if you board is narrower or shorter.

OR.... This can SNEEK up on you.... most likely your problem...

It can be a Stay Under Rollers issue... If you tell it to stay under the rollers and the board is not physically 7 inches longer than the designer board it will scale the project and fit it into the space left after subtracting 7 inches of your physical board.

So if your designer board is 17 inches long and you have text 15 inches long on that 17 inch board and you install a 17 inch physical board into the machine and tell it to stay under the rollers it will subtract the 7 inches from your physical board and place or SCALE your text in a 10 inch area in the center of your board. If you had selected to NOT stay under the rollers then it would have placed the text 15 inches long on your 17 inch board. So it is all about Under the Rollers or NOT.....

AL

dbfletcher
10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Al,

I was just refering to scaling in designer... when you change text in a text box, the resulting textbox may be appropriate to the change made... or adding or subtracting a single letter may cause the textbox to grow or shrink by several times its original size. I wasnt refering to scaling on the "machine" end. Hope that clarify's a bit.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher