PDA

View Full Version : Silly Putty

Fletcher
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Folks,

This is just an FYI on a little trick I use to hold irregular objects for scanning. In the tips and tricks it says to carve out some foam to use as a nest to hold your item for scanning (which is a good solution), but I have a quicker easier solution. Get yourself some Silly Putty(kids toy section at Wal Mart) - this stuff is actually pretty handy around the shop. You break off three pieces and roll into little balls. Stick the little balls to your object in three places that the object will sit on. Then simply press the object down onto your sled on the three balls until it comes up solid. This will hold the object firmly enough for scanning. You can also use the Silly putty to check shapes if you are carving any type of mold. You push it into the carved area and then remove to see what the molded result will look like. This is an old mold makers trick but they used plasticine - silly putty leaves no residue behind and is reusable for a long time.

Cheers!
Darrin

Icutone2
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Great idea Thanks!
Lee

fwharris
10-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Darrin,

Great idea!! I have also used plummers putty to do the same thing..

blantz
10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice tip
I use modeling clay to hold objects for scanning. I also use the modeling clay on two sided carves like chess pieces to hold the part when cutting out on the second pass. I just pressed clay into the carve regions around the piece in several areas before the second side is started. That saved having to clean up the tabs after carving. I have not tried clay on bigger pieces.

Fletcher
10-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Ooohhh, I like that idea blantz!