PDA

View Full Version : Close Cover

dainge
10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Here I am again. All I get is Close cove and I hear the switches operate and nothing except the moter will start for a second. Run diags and it says the switch is open. It there a wy to defet the cover switches? HELP!!!:confused:

Dale

unitedcases
10-06-2009, 08:38 PM
I dont know the term but I just clipped mine away from the switches, and wired them together. Each side of course. I didnt remove the cover but I can open it and vacuum and the machine never misses a beat.

Digitalwoodshop
10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Here I am again. All I get is Close cove and I hear the switches operate and nothing except the moter will start for a second. Run diags and it says the switch is open. It there a wy to defet the cover switches? HELP!!!:confused:

Dale

Since you are not a seasoned user like most of us here with only 10 posts, you need to know a few things... The left switch is the one that tells the computer that the cover is open and will stop the machine when the cover is open and more importantly tells the computer to NOT turn on the cut motor.... Yes you CAN bypass the switch and since we are all adults here take that responsibility if we do. I will save you from hearing my 9 Digit Stories from the Sony Picture Tube Plant where I worked... BE CAREFUL if you do bypass the switch.

Now the right switch... It is on the return circuit for cut motor and when the cover is open this is a second backup to prevent the cut motor from starting EVEN if the computer tells the cut motor to start.

So bypassing the left switch will never let the computer know you have your fingers on the bit. If you did not bypass the right switch, it would save you... Bypassing both switches and you remove all safety devices.

Now for the switch... The left switch can be loose, as in the 2 screws holding it can be loose...

The screws holding the clear cover hinge could be loose preventing the switch from making contact. But if you hear a click... It should be OK.. but might be DIRTY.... I have stuck my air hose in the switch and blown it out... Or you can remove the switch and use electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack. It might melt the plastic cover, use with care....

Then there is the loose plug problem... The plug from the left switch can be plugged in 180 degrees out... Just remember WHITE wire to the center of the machine....

OR you could just order a replacement from LHR.

Remember changing a bit with 8 or 9 fingers is harder than with 10:mrgreen:

AL

fhoward2
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Only my right side clicks. The left side seems to be stuck. The button is not sticking out and does not click. How do I bypass the switches by cutting the wires? Thanks Frank

cnsranch
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
For God's sake, don't cut the wires...take the switch apart and clean it before doing anything else...

Those switches are there for a purpose - making sure you don't get your fingers chewed off.

fhoward2
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Ok, I was looking for a quick fix until I can get a replacement. The switch is broken. I appreciate your concern. I have a project I need to get done today.

lhanner
11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I am having the same problem. After receving a new left switch yesterday I am still geting close cover error. Now I hardwired both switchs and that did not help at all.

fwharris
11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
a couple of things you might check.

Some times the cover/door gets a little out of alignment and the tab on the door does not make a good contact with the switch. Also there is a small amount of adjustment in the switch to make it align with the door tabs.

Also what were you getting when you do a door sensor check? door open/closed etc..

also check the connection where the wires plug into the board on the z motor..

Icutone2
11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I found replacement switches at the local Raidoshak.
Lee

fhoward2
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
a couple of things you might check.

Some times the cover/door gets a little out of alignment and the tab on the door does not make a good contact with the switch. Also there is a small amount of adjustment in the switch to make it align with the door tabs.

Also what were you getting when you do a door sensor check? door open/closed etc..

also check the connection where the wires plug into the board on the z motor..
sensor check shows door open and it is plugged in.

fwharris
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Some have reported success with taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts with emery cloth/sandpaper.

Digitalwoodshop
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I am having the same problem. After receving a new left switch yesterday I am still geting close cover error. Now I hardwired both switchs and that did not help at all.

OK... I was out delivering signs today so I enter this late in the day....

If you shorted the left switch wires and you still get a open cover error then the switch was most likely GOOD.

What might be the problem is the left switch wires have a flat plug that plugs into the circuit board on the back of the machine. It has little guide BUMPS to prevent it from being inserted 180 degrees out but I can tell you I installed my plug 180 out and did not even know it.... It CAN go in 180 out... Bet that is the problem as the symptom is All the time open cover.... WHITE WIRE in Plug needs to go toward the CENTER of the machine.

NOW the Right Switch... Please Un Bypass this switch as it is in the return path for the Cut Motor, the FINGER MANGALLER.... It only prevents the cut motor from starting if the left switch fails and you have the cover open and on the BIT.... It has nothing to do with close cover.... But everything to do with BLOODY CHOPPED UP FINGERS.....

AL

AskBud
11-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I would think it best to use the key-pad and do the sensor tests, prior to replacing anything. You should be able to open, or short, the necessary wires to prove the fault(s). The test should show Open or Closed on almost every sensor. The exception(s) would be the Board Sensor(s).
AskBud

RabidRed
10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
I just changed the y motor pack and now have a open door message. I put the wire connectors with the white wire to the center (although the "bumps" on the connector appear wrong with that configuration). I jumped the switch but still get the open door message. Suggestions?

cnsranch
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Cover switch is the one behind the cover, closest to the key pad side.

With the machine on, and the "Close Cover" message showing, can you give the cover a light rap where the switch is, and get the message to change? Or, put your fingers thru the slot in the top of the machine, place the palm of your hand over where the switch is, and give it a squeeze - does THAT cause the message to change?

If yes to either, the switch needs to be adjusted - it's not aligned right. Either the screws that hold the switch are loose, switch has moved back, etc.

I've been dealing with that issue, seems that if I tighten the screws, that tends to fix it, sometimes I loosen the left a tad, tighten the right a tad, etc.

The piece where the switch is mounted is part of the machine itself, where the actuator for the switch is mounted on the cover. The two pieces are different composites, different thicknesses, ect., and I wonder if they expand and contract differently with temperature fluctuations, causing the errors.

That all said, if you can't get the message to change as above, it's likely electrical.

RabidRed
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I would think when you jump the switch and still show open, that the problem is not the switch. I have tried to change the direction of the white wire in the connector with no help. Yep I think it's electrical. I have tried all the sensor tests and all plassed with the exception of the "closed door" showing open. So where to now?

AskBud
10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I would think when you jump the switch and still show open, that the problem is not the switch. I have tried to change the direction of the white wire in the connector with no help. Yep I think it's electrical. I have tried all the sensor tests and all plassed with the exception of the "closed door" showing open. So where to now?
Remember to check the other end of the wire (or a connect point in between). You've had things apart, and may have accidently pulled the connections apart.
AskBud

RabidRed
10-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Which two wires at the board connector do you look for continuity?

AskBud
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
This link to the CarveTight video may give you the best view of the Cover wires.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/carvetightvideo.htm

RabidRed
10-08-2010, 02:36 PM
This link to the CarveTight video may give you the best view of the Cover wires.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/carvetightvideo.htm

In this video it appears the white wire is on top. On my connector it is on bottom. Plus the plug does not fit well with the white wire to the center.

fwharris
10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
In this video it appears the white wire is on top. On my connector it is on bottom. Plus the plug does not fit well with the white wire to the center.

The white wire does go on top and if you look closely the white wire is located closer to the center of the machine vs the outside or end of the machine..

Hope that is what your problem is/was..

RabidRed
10-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I found the problem. The connector to the board was not seated properly. Working fine now.

fwharris
10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Great!! Now get r started up and carve!!!

PCW
10-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I found the problem. The connector to the board was not seated properly. Working fine now.

Good Job!!!!!