PDA

View Full Version : drillong 1/4" holes-oval???

pkunk
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I set up a program to drill a series of 1/4" shelf pin holes. Works like a charm, except....all the holes are not round. Close but not. Could the software be modified to use a 1/4" spiral bit and do them in one pass - like a drill?

mailman
05-10-2006, 02:53 AM
I wish I knew the answer to your question pkunk so you would get an answer. I have been watching your question for the last day or so and wish someone would give you the correct answer. This is a good question. I just got my carvewright back today after it has been in the shop for the last week and am ready to start carving.

yenne
05-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Could the software be modified to use a 1/4" spiral bit and do them in one pass - like a drill?
You should be able to override the drilling bit with a 1/4" ballnose when it prompts you for the bit, but I'll have to check into this.

Are the ovals longer length-wise or width-wise? There might be a simple calibration fix that will resolve this problem.

pkunk
05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Could the software be modified to use a 1/4" spiral bit and do them in one pass - like a drill?
You should be able to override the drilling bit with a 1/4" ballnose when it prompts you for the bit, but I'll have to check into this.

Are the ovals longer length-wise or width-wise? There might be a simple calibration fix that will resolve this problem.
Well sorta width wise...here's the file

Dan-Woodman
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Why can't you just program it to drill 1/8 " holes and replace the 1/8 " bit with the same lenth 1/4" bit? later Daniel

yenne
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Problems with oval-ized circles usually indicate either a excessive gear backlash or a calibration issue with the board position roller. You can vacuum the machine and clean the roller, but if the problem persists then its settings may need to be recalibrated. Let me know, and I'll ping Chris Morlier about how best to do this in the field.

One way to check for sure is to use the Measure Board function to measure a longer board (like 48 inches) and compare to a tape measure.

pkunk
05-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Problems with oval-ized circles usually indicate either a excessive gear backlash or a calibration issue with the board position roller. You can vacuum the machine and clean the roller, but if the problem persists then its settings may need to be recalibrated. Let me know, and I'll ping Chris Morlier about how best to do this in the field.

One way to check for sure is to use the Measure Board function to measure a longer board (like 48 inches) and compare to a tape measure.I cleaned the machine & measured a 72 inch melamine board-dead on. The gears are tight as I had a slippage there awhile back and Chris walked me through the process of repair.

yenne
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
I cleaned the machine & measured a 72 inch melamine board-dead on.
Excellent! Are you still getting oval holes?

pkunk
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I cleaned the machine & measured a 72 inch melamine board-dead on.
Excellent! Are you still getting oval holes?
yes

yenne
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I think we've got a machine here doing the same thing, and we're investigating a fix.

Dan-Woodman
05-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Britt
I just programed a project for shelf pin holes. I told it to drill 1/8" holes
but I installed a 1/4" bit of the same lenth. It worked fine except I too am getting oval holes. About .015-.018 one way and about .010 the other . I can see and feel the base moving while it drills. I was hopeing this update today would fix it but no go. later Daniel

pkunk
06-02-2006, 09:03 PM

One way to check for sure is to use the Measure Board function to measure a longer board (like 48 inches) and compare to a tape measure.
look at this pic. i think maybe I have gear slop

Dan-Woodman
06-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Make sure your board sides are parralell and theres no slop after you push the sliding guide plate over.