PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 inch cutting bit

WRW
10-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Has any one tried using a larger cutting bit on a project. My 1/8 bit has shattered and I need to get a project out. The only bit I have to use for cut out is a 1/4 plunger router spiral bit. I do not see why it would not work but thought I would ask those who have been doing this longer (which is just about everyone here).

Have a great day!
Richard

dbfletcher
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
If you could control the feed rate, I'm sure it would work, but since we cant... I think it might be too much stress on the machine.... unless you just take really small passes.

Doug Fletcher

DocWheeler
10-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think there would be a problem using the 1/4" straight bit if you selected the 1/4" round-nose bit when selecting from the list.

Just my thoughts.

dbfletcher
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Hmmm.. I guess if he is using just vector lines for the "cutout" I think that would work... but if he is using cut path, wont the machine be expecting an 1/8" cutting bit?

Doug Fletcher

DocWheeler
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Doug,

When I wrote that, I was thinking of using a "route" rather than a cutout. However, if the programmers were doing as expected, the selected bit should take precedence and the speed adjusted accordingly.

One way is safe, the other is a gamble!

LollyWood
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Richard,

I use a 1/4 straight cutting bit (plunge type) on a few projects. I keep the max pass depth to .125-.150. No real stress on bit or cut motor. Lengthens carve time a mite, but works well enough. Wouldn't suggest a full cut single pass. That might lead to to good. Cut motors are expensive.;)

WRW
10-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks Again Guys

An informed decision is usually superior to acting with out fore thought. I appreciate all the input. I'll decide after a short nights sleep.

Have a great night!
Richard