PDA

View Full Version : Problem out of the box-Help

Shacky
10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
My brand new Compucarve arrived today. After carefully taking it out of the box, lubing the flexishaft, acquainting myself with the QC, etc. I noticed a crack on the upper black case. A couple pics are attached.

I figured I would take a few pictures and register it with Sears so that I could get it replaced, but figured it was just cosmetic.

So, I finally decided to load a board and seem to have a problem. As I crank the head down, I start getting the clicks after a few turns, as I keep turning the crank it goes down some more, but then just all clicks, meanwhile the head is still 3 or 4 inches above my 1 inch piece of lumber.

That's when I started wondering if that crack is indicating that the corner get smacked and is causing my problem.

For the record, there was no damage at all the box or packing materials.

I know there are folks out there with all kinds of experience and knowledge....what's happening here?

www.go3d.us
10-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I suggest call sears immediately to report the issue and get a replacement.
HT

Steven Alford
10-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Since Sears has the replacement policy, I would take it back and make them replace it. Who knows, this may not be your only problem from this "drop" that obviously occurred.

Kenm810
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Yep same thing, I saw the Delivery guy roll mine end over end into the back of my shop when I got it back from one of its trips to Texas.
The corner posts got knocked out of alignment and the head wouldn't go down all the way.
I loosened the bolts a bit on all four corners and gave the machine a couple of shakes,
cranked the head up and down a few times, re-tightened the bolts, and all was well.

robbrigg2
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I second that motion. It sounds like the box was dropped and the head is no longer level if so it will bind and cause this to happen. In either case I would call the store.

PCW
10-06-2009, 04:45 PM
This is not a good way to get started.:rolleyes:

What may have happened is the corner guide got bumped and you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Grab a hold of that round rod (corner guide under the crack) and see if it is lose. The bottom of that rod is held in place by a screw under the bottom cover and that plastic may have got cracked.

If you are up to it unplug the machine remove the muffler tip the machine on it back remove 12 screws/cover and see if the plastic base is cracked.

I would let Sears replace it.

Shacky
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
So, I went up to my local Sears and they said that since I ordered it through Sears.com I have to go through them.

I called Sears and they said that they would send out a call tag and have it picked up and as soon as the warehouse gets it back, they will issue me a refund and then I can reorder it.

I said, "Can't you just replace this one instead of going through the hassle of refund and reorder?"

Nope that's how they do it. What a pain.

Steven Alford
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Pain or not, at least they are going to replace it.

dbfletcher
10-06-2009, 06:33 PM
So, I went up to my local Sears and they said that since I ordered it through Sears.com I have to go through them.

I called Sears and they said that they would send out a call tag and have it picked up and as soon as the warehouse gets it back, they will issue me a refund and then I can reorder it.

I said, "Can't you just replace this one instead of going through the hassle of refund and reorder?"

Nope that's how they do it. What a pain.

Thats exactly how I started... but if you dont mind the overlapping charges, you can just go ahead and order another one immediately.... and then when the recieve yours back, you will get credited. I did that with the first 3 returns. The last one I gave up and just worked with LHR. Neither was a very plesant experience.

Good luck!

Doug Fletcher

Shacky
10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I did order one immediately after the return was arranged. They also agreed to give me the Friends and Family Sale price from Sunday. In reality, they have been pretty helpful.

One thing, when I first ordered there was free shipping to your home. That deal is gone now, plus what I have found is that is I had it delivered for pickup and my local Sears, I could have returned it there. So, on this order I scheduled it to be picked up at my local Sears. Now, they won't be able to say, "Gee, sorry, but you'll have to go through Sears.com for that."

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was tempted to see if I could fix it, but returning it was the right thing to do.

Griz64
10-07-2009, 12:07 AM
For 2 grand you bet you did the right thing. I knock "red oak" everytime I read a story like this. Best of luck when you get up and running. As a matter of fact, take this time to get all the sleep you can because if your like me you will be up all night getting to know your new machine.