PDA

View Full Version : Cut out then edge rout

Griz64
10-06-2009, 03:29 AM
is it possible to do a cut out of a pattern and then do an edge rout? Ok maybe I should re word that. I am sure it is possible but could someone tell me how please? I have zero idea on this one so no preconceived notions.

Jeff_Birt
10-06-2009, 07:53 AM
An 'Edge Route' is just that, routing on the edges of the board you put in the machine. If you are cutting something out of a larger board and you would also like to route along the edge all you need to do is click on the line that denotes the edge(s) of your cutout and assign the router bit that you wish to use then you also need to assign the 'Cut Path' function to your edge(s) as well. The machine will do the routing before the cut out.

JMD
10-06-2009, 08:53 AM
An 'Edge Route' is just that, routing on the edges of the board you put in the machine. If you are cutting something out of a larger board and you would also like to route along the edge all you need to do is click on the line that denotes the edge(s) of your cutout and assign the router bit that you wish to use then you also need to assign the 'Cut Path' function to your edge(s) as well. The machine will do the routing before the cut out.

WOULD YOU NEED TO SET AN OFFSET TO THE EDEGE BIT? WOULDN'T IT CENTER ON THE LINE?

AskBud
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
WOULD YOU NEED TO SET AN OFFSET TO THE EDEGE BIT? WOULDN'T IT CENTER ON THE LINE?

This is a maybe Yes and maybe No situation.
The fancy bit that you select will be larger than the 1/8 cutting bit. It will create an edge on both sides of the line it takes (and it may be "adjusted as well). It will be a matter of choice as to where you wish each bit to end its contour.
AskBud

JMD
10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
This is a maybe Yes and maybe No situation.
The fancy bit that you select will be larger than the 1/8 cutting bit. It will create an edge on both sides of the line it takes (and it may be "adjusted as well). It will be a matter of choice as to where you wish each bit to end its contour.
AskBud

I thought that was the case. When I worked in the shop we had to set the offsets all the time.

Jeff_Birt
10-06-2009, 12:09 PM

When assigning a bit to a vector line you may or may not want to offset it. It just depends on the look you are after. However when doing a cut path you select the 1/8" or 1/16" cutting bits and tell it which side of the line to cut on.