PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Body Base?

cestout
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I am thinking of making a hollow body base. I would make it in 3 layers. The center layer would be the body pattern outline and a 2" smaller (1" around all the edges) inside that cut out. I would leave a rectangle not cut out for the neck attachment and the bridge. The top and bottom layers would be the body pattern on the front, and on the back a 2" smaller of the same, but reversed. Again, on the back I would leave material uncarved to accommodate the neck and the bridge. Also I would put a couple of ribs across for strength. Hopefully cut F holes in the top.

My son-in-law is cleaning up the first one I carved (well three previous in pine to tweak the design), but this is solid. He found a fret-less neck and wan ted to make me one since I am a jazz person. I am not a guitar designer and want toe options of you who are. If you think it will work and you are interested I will post pictures of the design as I progress, when I progress. Time to do this stuff is a problem.
Thanks
Clint

hogiewan
10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I think you mean "bass"

I'd love to see your designs. I'm working up a solid-body bass right now.

chebytrk
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Great guys! Keep us posted on the progress (w/pics if possible) of your projects. :)

cestout
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Sorry about the miss-spell, I am the worlds worst speller, and that is a real word so my spell checker did not catch it. So, when I actually get to work on the design, I will post it. But I think it should be in the Gallery, so watch for it there. I will post pix of the solid body bass I just carved and my son-in-law is currently finishing- as time permits. He is heading for a Green Job Fair in Pasadena today. BTW, he found a section in one of his guitar book on semi- guitars, and the method pictured is just about what I am planning.
Clint