PDA

View Full Version : Love it - Halloween Dream Come true...

Yellow Jacket
10-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I am having a BLAST with the STL importer...I was a little taken aback at the beginning by the "sticker shock" factor; however, I have a background in software development and product, and realize that CarveWright likely had to buy some expensive library and/or component package to get this working, so I get it.

Anyway, I took the plunge and am now using multiple slices of components I designed and scaled as accessories to my son's Halloween Costume (SSI DiveCon, "Scuba Steve", Tech Diver - your choice). Originally, I set about doing the accessories (Dive Computers, Lead Weights, Regulators) using "Sculpey", which worked *ok*, but not great. Well, I happen to have been playing around for a few years with Google's SketchUp software (highly recommended if you haven't heard of it - it's FREE, and if you search the web for "Google STL Exporter", there is a free exporter you can download, drop in the plug-ins directory, and export your model to an STL through the "Tools" dropdown menu - very easy, and hasn't hiccuped for me yet).

Ok, I'm droning...anyway, I got the STL importer, designed several high-tech SCUBA devices in Sketchup - scaled them for a 7-month-old, sliced them up in the importer, and carved/re-assembled them. Now, I'm using MDF for these which I do *not* want anywhere near my 7-month-old, so what I'm doing is taking the original carved pieces, and making silicone mould casts of them, then re-casting the parts via the mould in FDA-approved 2-part plastic (www.alumilite.com).

More details when the project is done, but if you're at *all* interested in producing true 3-D "3-axis-simulated" works and you're good with a tool that can produce an STL model, the STL importer is worth every penny to you.

Regards,

Yellow Jacket Productions

twiceretired
10-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Good morning Yellow Jacket. Welcome to the Forum. The description of your of your project sounds real cool. Please post pictures of your process when you’re finished. This sounds like it may answer a lot of questions members have been asking about making molds of a carving.

DocWheeler
10-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Yellow Jacket,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the link - very interesting.

liquidguitars
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
nice copy.. looking forward to some pictures. :rolleyes:

LG