PDA

View Full Version : My Dust /Debris Pickup with dust collector setup w/video

gwizpro
10-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey all,

We were playing around with some ideas on the dust pickup for the machine and came up with a neat little inexpensive way of doing it. It is very very good at what it was designed to do. There was absolutely no dust or debris in the machine after many hours of carving. We all know the cleaner the machine is the longer it works without dust related problems. The dust collector is a small delta unit from Lowes. I think it is 650 cfm.
The combination of Rock Chuck, Mylar Belts and a dust pick up makes the machine a dream to work with...

Anyway, we are very happy with it. Here is a YouTube video we took of it with the iphone 3GS video.. Not bad video for a phone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhfM0jBekww

Now there is one problem, we took the top off the machine and by-passed the switches. PLEASE If you are going to make comments about the the "safety issue" kindly don't , WE KNOW ABOUT IT... I am a big boy now and can make stupid mistakes if I wish...It is our machine and we can modify it any way we wish. I have other CNC machines and there is no cover over the cut head or motor, they are wide open. As far the issue about flying broken bits, well our other cnc machine has done it and thrown the broken parts quite far.

mtylerfl
10-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed watching your video. Surprisingly good pic and sound quality - got me thinking about getting an iphone too!:)

Ken Massingale
10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks, I just happen to have an usused floor sweep laying around. This looks like a winner.

Steven Alford
10-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Do you think you could post a good picture of the DC so that it can be printed out for reference when building one? Greatly appreciated.