PDA

View Full Version : Machine speed

eromran
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Does any body have an idea how fast the carvewright is ? I know when your talking about a bigger cnc router they say something like 200" PER MINUTE or 1000" per minute something like that. So how does that equate to the carvewright any ideas would be helpful. Ive seen some post that says its faster than some larger machines then some says slower. Both are probably true depending on machine you were comparing it to.That why i thought it would be helpful to know the speed ( not talking about speed at which bit spins). Sorry if i did not ask this in the right way I'm sure someone can ask this in a more eloquent way i just don't know the correct wording of what I'm asking. THANKS

PCW
10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Ed,

I'm not really sure but with the servo motors and belts it would not surprise me if the CW was capable of 200 ipm plus. It is pretty fast. My Hobby screw and stepper system only runs 110 ipm and I program travel to up to 70 to 90 ipm without any problems.

The problem is the bit can only cut so fast and if you push it to fast it could stall.

TIMCOSBY
10-03-2009, 12:28 AM
on speed the carveright guy said in cutting with the cutting bit it was like 4" per second on best 5" on normal or something like that. not sure about the raster carving with the carving bit. the post was real recent and was about breaking bits and the feed rates were slowed some.

AskBud
10-03-2009, 06:52 AM
I think there may be several things to take into account as you do a speed comparison.

1) You would need to know what cutter, cutter size, and cutter depth, is/was being used (it should be the same in each test).
2) You need the specified material used (wood type & density as an example).
3) I would be aware that, this/these test(s) are about the liner movement,
not the square inch of material removed.
4) The design/pattern should, also, be the same in each test.
AskBud

eromran
10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Bud,you talk about all these things you would need to know but i am talking about if all were the same in all machines. Obviously the cavewright is using the 1/16 bit so that is what you would use in a bigger machine to compare. I guess another way i could have asked the question was pick a pattern we all have seen Sooo...... MT's wreath pattern same size in all machines same wood same bit same anything else you can think of which one finishes first Carvewright--Shopbot---K2 or others that you can compare?

HighTechOkie
10-03-2009, 01:41 PM
The big problem with a machine's published travel speed, is that is typically referring to a "no load" bit moving through air scenario. As Bud pointed out, the real limitation is the feed/speed for the bit used. A K2 or Shopbot might be 15% faster, at most, for raster carves. Those machines are considerably faster in their vector cutting abilities.

Now if you are talking about a project like MT's wreath that is made up of multiple pieces and layers, you have to factory in the reduced cutout time for 1 single piece and no assembly/glue up time that a larger machine would produce.

Rob