PDA

View Full Version : Lost in SC

Wilbur
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I am walking around wondering why I don't hear my machine running.

Well after 485 hr of run time The machine is starting to give problems. Has taken on a mine of it's on.
It cuts through the wood and then does not touch the wood at all. Something has taken over.
Good thing I have the 5 yr warranty from Sears. I packed it up yesterday an Sears shipped it off by UPS. Says it will take about two weeks.
Well worth the 300.00 I paid for the 5 yr.
I just got half of it back on the shipping by UPS I would have had to pay.
Talked with LHR the other day and they said that Sears does there on repair.
We will see just how it works out. So for everything going good except I am not carving.

May need two ?????

Wilbur

Ken Massingale
10-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I feel for you Wilbur. Being lost in SC is not a good thing! ;-)
If you get the twitches run up to Liberty and carve for an hour or so.

want2b
10-03-2009, 08:35 PM
There's been a lot of discussion about the extended warranty, guess it's like buying one on a washer or TV. If you never need it, bad expense, if you do then it can be a cheap expense. I bought mine from Sears and at the end of my initial 1 yr I bought the 5 year warranty from Sears. At about 18 months of ownership,(not a lot of hours, 100) I had an issue that would have cost me about $150 including shipping but was covered by the warranty at no cost. 6 months later it died and the parts totaled over $400 without labor and was covered 100% by Sears. My feeling from what I read here on this forum is they replaced more than was needed based on the problem but it was not my call and not on my $$.
Seems like any other product, do you want to go with an extended warranty or take the basic manufacturers. My take was that since it was a new product and had a lot of mechanical parts that were not contained within a small unit that I would take the extended warranty. First one I every bought, wife couldn't believe it and we had some serious discussion about it. I could repair just about everything in our house and my shop so why should this be any different. Told her it was about the diagnosis along with the parts cost and adding in shipping? No argument anymore, but if you are one who has a machine that runs foreve(with proper maintenance) then it would be a waste of $$ to get an extended maintenance.
Sorry to run on.
Rick H
ps: Sears has 2 repair locations, one for 'electronics' in CA and one for 'tools' in Texas. My first repair went OK and the person sending it back knew it should go to Tx, second problem was sent to Ca as an electronics item and they sent it all the way back to originating Sear repair(45 miles from me), then they had to reship it. Neither repair was in 2 weeks, guess it's affected by how ar you are from TX, first time they got it in TX the day before I was supposed to get it back. I found that Sears was either very good in informing you on what was happening or very bad, no middle ground in my adventures.
Good Luck

Wilbur
10-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I agree with all you have said.
I dough that I would have a warranty at all " IF " I had not had a machine that was a machine from hell.
I had very good service and help from LHR but had to wait a week each time I needed a part and never got more than 5 carvings done the time I had it.
The last problem I had I was down for 8 weeks with new parts coming in every week with no luck on the fix.
I just had it, so I took the machine back and got my money back.
I wanted a carver that worked and after reading about many who had little problems with there CW I decided to try it again so I went to Sears because of the 5 yr warranty and the price had come down.
I have dealt with Sears for ever so I jumped in and got the CC and happy I did.
I did have problem with the QC and replaced it with the Rock and the flex shaft had to be lubed.
After that I got 485 hr of carving time before The bit started doing its on thing and cutting through the wood and missing the wood all together.
This problem was the straw that broke the camel's back on the first machine and was going to cost me 158.00 to ship back to LHR for repair so now I have saved that shipping charge by dealing with Sears.

I am sure that most of the machines out there will need some kind of repair and for me I can see 5 yr warranty being a must and paying for itself soon if you do much carving.

Wilbur