PDA

View Full Version : Cutout question

Griz64
10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
not sure what I did wrong if anything. I have been working my poor machine as hard as I can trying to learn everything I can. Today I decided to try my luck at a cutout project. Basically I have a sign in the shape of a stop sign. When I uploaded it to the memory card and chose the 1/16 bit to get more detail in the sign. The wood is .75 thick. So the machine finishes doing the carving but has yet to do the cutout part yet. The readout says change bit so I put in the 1/8 bit and hit ENTER. The truck goes back and forth and does its thing for a few seconds then the readout says something like bit depth does not match or something similar to that. I hope thats enough info but if not feel free to aks for more. My question is why did it say that and/or did I do something wrong? Just as a side note I aborted the project at that point and just cut it down with the table saw. I would really like to keep from doing that to often because I have to move the CW to use the saw and that thing aint light. Please enlighten me and thanks.

dbfletcher
10-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Are you using the QC Chuck or the Rock? Did you insert each bit at the start of the project when it asked you to? You will get that message when the first measurement of the bit (at start of project), doesnt match the second measurment (when the machine actually uses each bit). If you have th QC, and you did switch bits at the beggining when prompted, I would make sure you inserted it fully on the second measurement. If you are using the rock, and you dont have bit stops on the bit... that is a common message. If the right bit is in, you should just be able to hit continue and it should be good.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
10-01-2009, 11:30 PM
My guess is thet the 1/8" Cutting bit was not seated properly one of the times it was loaded, and the unit was trying to match on the first load measurement.
AskBud

Griz64
10-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Mr. Fletcher, Well duh. Thats exactly what I did wrong. I can honestly say I have not put bit stops on my bits yet for 2 reasons. First cuz I forgot all about them in all the reading I have been doing and 2 cuz I havent been to Home Depot yet. I totally feel like smacking myself in the head for not doing this in the beginning. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Ike
10-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Mr. Fletcher, Well duh. Thats exactly what I did wrong. I can honestly say I have not put bit stops on my bits yet for 2 reasons. First cuz I forgot all about them in all the reading I have been doing and 2 cuz I havent been to Home Depot yet. I totally feel like smacking myself in the head for not doing this in the beginning. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Now you got me wondering too! I recently changed over to the Rock and do not have any stops. Anyway I got the same message, but #2 allows you to continue. I broke 2 cutting bits so I wonder if the position of the bit had anything to do with it?

Ike

Wilbur
10-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I have 480 hr on the rock and do not use any stops at all. I do use the tube that the bit came in to measure the bit in my rock.
I use the 1/4" adaptor so I cut the tube to 1.25" and place the bit in it, using the tip of my finger to hold the bit in the tube I slide the bit into the rock until the tube touches and lock it in place.
I never change bits for measuring when starting.
When I get the message that the bit does not match I hit continue #2 and it starts to carve.
The cutting bit Works good but when I have routing to do I do get a Y axes stall. For the most part that has come from chips that has gotten into the T belt.
When this happens I have found that there is nothing else to do but finish it on the table saw or band saw.
Wilbur