PDA

View Full Version : POM-centerline & Laser Engravers

dbfletcher
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm not quite sure where I should post this, so I guess this is as good as anyplace.

I have just downloaded this months POM and I really like this design. However, I want to add 4-5 lines of text on the bottom side. I do have centerline, but it seems in order to get it to fit, my line height is between .3 and .4 inches high. I have never used centerline at such a small size. By "mousing over" the centerline text on the designer screen, it look like it will be carving the centerline at about .02-.03 deep max. Is that really do-able? Would it be better just to take the dishes to someone with a laser engraver and let them put the text on that back?

I know there are a few on this forum with laser engravers. What do you think is reasonable for for someone with a machine to do this? I assume there are a few sign making shops in my area with this capability.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

PS. I attached what one looks like in designer.

forqnc
10-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Which Bit have you assigned for the Centerline, the 90deg will carve shallower than if you use the 60deg. Also you can make the text Bold to get deeper, another trick is to tell the software to use the 60deg and when the machine ask for the 60deg bit, install the 90deg. Play around on some scrap, I have managed to get centerline text 1/4" tall and still readable.
Good Luck

cnsranch
10-02-2009, 08:59 AM
( For really small text, try using the 1/16" carving bit on a test piece - shhh....)

dbfletcher
10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I actuly have done that for v-groove outline that i wanted... but I dont think it will work in the case. I guess I could try it though. My main concern there is the final product will be on oak or popular.... I dont have any "scrap" of that laying around... and I think if i try it on pine or mdf, it wont be a good approximation of the final carve.

I have heard of others using 22.5 degree v-bits for small text. Can I find one of those at big box stores... or would I have to order from the internet?

Where are all the laser engravers??? I thoght there were several on this forum.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I actuly have done that for v-groove outline that i wanted... but I dont think it will work in the case. I guess I could try it though. My main concern there is the final product will be on oak or popular.... I dont have any "scrap" of that laying around... and I think if i try it on pine or mdf, it wont be a good approximation of the final carve.

I have heard of others using 22.5 degree v-bits for small text. Can I find one of those at big box stores... or would I have to order from the internet?

Where are all the laser engravers??? I thoght there were several on this forum.

Doug Fletcher

EagleAmerica has both 22 & 45 degree bits.
AskBud
http://www.eagleamerica.com/

dbfletcher
10-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Is something like this a crazy idea?

http://www.amazon.com/Magnate-Point-Cutting-Roundover-Router/dp/B00063FZ8S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254508818&sr=1-2

I already know my cuts are going to very shallow... and it looks like this would have a sharp taper. Now I know it isn't a "V"... but once the letters are filled with black who would know anyways? I'm just thinking then I could use that as a "multitasking" bit... where as the 22 degree one would only ever be useful for centerline.

Just a thought.....

Doug Fletcher

PCW
10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Doug,

Ron Justice make a 1/6" v bit for fine engraving. I had Ron make them with a 1/6" cutting bit on the opposite side. May be a thought.

dbfletcher
10-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Dan,

Are thoses on his website? I dont recall seeing them. I do like the idea though. I guess I've been watching too much Alton Brown on food network and have learned to dispise "single taskers"... except of course... the fire extingisher. Any one who watches his show will know what I'm talking about.

Doug Fletcher

PCW
10-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Doug,

No I emailed him. They are nice and they are 3" long. He is more than happy to make custom bits. You have a choice of having just a single or add a Ballnose/Carving/Cutting to the other end for a small fee. He has some high quality bits. He also sell the 1/6" bit adapters for the QC and Rock chuck.

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Doug,

I'm going to try the text on the back of one using a v-bit (60, 45, 22.5, didnt decide yet) with centerline. If I'm not happy with the end result, I'll get in touch with you and we can work out the details.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher