PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Plunge!

MarcTStanley
10-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Gentlemen,

I need some advice. I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a machine but have a few questions first. That I hope you can help me with.

First, which machine do I purchase; the one directly from Carvewright or the Compucarve from Sears. Which one is more dependable?

Software, it seems that CoralDraw is the design software of choice, but what version do you use?

I have more questions, but I will start with these for now.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

V/R,
Marc

PCW
10-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Marc,

Welcome to the forum.

The only difference is cosmetic between the CarveWright and the Compucare. Sears offers a extended warranty and alot of the members advise that route. The machine comes with the designer software and the photo editing software is optional. I use Photoshop CS3 so I can't advise you on the CoralDraw.

DocWheeler
10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Marc,

Welcome, you will enjoy the journey.
Use the search feature by putting quotation marks around your phrase.

First, which machine do I purchase; the one directly from Carvewright or the Compucarve from Sears. Which one is more dependable?

The machines are the same, you can get an extended warranty from Sears.
There are other vendors also.

Software, it seems that CoralDraw is the design software of choice, but what version do you use?

Most any version, and there are many software packages used by CW users.

William Blankenship
10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Gentlemen,

I need some advice. I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a machine but have a few questions first. That I hope you can help me with.

I have more questions, but I will start with these for now.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

V/R,
Marc

In my humble opinion I would buy it directly from LHR. That way you are sure to get the latest machine version. As far as CorelDraw goes, pick the version that is most stable for your computer's operating system. I'm still using Windows XP and CorelDraw version 12. It works for me, but I'm sure there will be others that use a newer version or even Adobe Illustrator.

There are some free packages out there that might be worth checking out. You can find these on the Open Source Software for XP page.

The link is: http://www.opensourcewindows.org/

I have a friend that used Inkscape for producing vector based design elements.

Bill....

Digitalwoodshop
10-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I do 99% of my work in the CarveWright Program called Designer. You can download a 30 day free copy that is the same as the activated copy after you buy the machine.

Sure you can do fancy stuff in Corel and change the colors to gray-scale but for the most part I use Designer. I do use Corel Draw 12 for my Laser and Sublimation business so I am very good at Corel.

I use 2 versions of Corel Paint, 5 and 12.... I use 5 90% of the time as it is simpler to operate. If I want to remove a background then I use 12.

There is a bunch you can learn reading Tips and Tricks and using " " with your search.

Good Luck and Welcome.

AL

TerryT
10-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Which one? The machines are the same. The only difference is one says Carvewright on the lid and the other says Compucarve on the lid. Buying from LHR (as you have heard) will probably assure you of the latest and greatest. Buying from Sears assures you of a 3 to 5 year warrenty if you want one.

Personally I have been eyeing the Sears reconditioned machines. Only $999 with, I believe, a six month warrentee. It just sounds like a good deal to me.
If Sears goes back to the $1499 or what ever, just wait a while and they will be $999 again. Wait a minute..................yep they are still $999 right now.

AskBud
10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Which one? The machines are the same. The only difference is one says Carvewright on the lid and the other says Compucarve on the lid. Buying from LHR (as you have heard) will probably assure you of the latest and greatest. Buying from Sears assures you of a 3 to 5 year warrenty if you want one.

Personally I have been eyeing the Sears reconditioned machines. Only $999 with, I believe, a six month warrentee. It just sounds like a good deal to me.
If Sears goes back to the $1499 or what ever, just wait a while and they will be $999 again. Wait a minute..................yep they are still $999 right now.

I'm not sure that the "Extended Warranty" applies to the Reconditioned units. Check before you make your decision on the reconditioned units.
AskBud

Ike
10-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Marc, I own both first the Sears when they first came out 06 and last year bought the CW. When I first bought the Sears no Craftsman extended waranty was offered other then the manufacture 1 year warranty.

I have had less issues with the CW, but that is probably because I learned how to use it correctly! Third time the charm! Yes I have owned 3 machine sold one to Al and have one for parts and my working CW!

I plan on getting another CW soon and plan on ordering from Amazon.com again. Just looked today and the price went down $10.00 $1689.99 and still free shipping and a 90 day return policy. Sears will cost more, but offers the extended warranty.

Now LHR has announced a new bit holder coming out replacing the QC. That may raise the price from all sources. When I checked Amazon they stated having 3 left in stock. So if you do buy one soon I think Amazon has the best price and has a good reputation, Sears and LHR has a great reputation too! But their price are higher.

Oh another good source is forum member Littleredwoodshop I think he still has the same price as Amazon and he was offering free shipping.

Whatever machine you choose I suggest changing the QC with the "Rock". Learn all you can and like Al said, you can download the designer for a 30 day trial. You don't need any other software to operate the machine. I have Corel Draw and use it to make patterns, but other then the pattern editor that comes with the probe you don't need any other software to make your projects!

Ike

MarcTStanley
10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I do 99% of my work in the CarveWright Program called Designer. You can download a 30 day free copy that is the same as the activated copy after you buy the machine.
Good Luck and Welcome.

AL

Al,

Where would one find the 30 Day trial software?

Marc

hogiewan
10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I went through Sears to get the warranty - $300 for 5 years. It is not available on the reconditioned units.

I use Paint.Net and Inkscape - both are free and do what I need

Ike
10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Al,

Where would one find the 30 Day trial software?

Marc

www.carvewright.com!

Ike

PS Your can use other software but it must be importable into the designer. The designer and the software from CW is the ONLY software that works with the machine

MarcTStanley
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Gents,
Thank you for all the quick responses! I have been thinking about buying one of these for about two years, ever since I saw them on the Sears website while I was in Iraq!
I have so many projects that I want to do with the Machine, I have quite the extensive list in my Workshop Composition notebook. Passed the time in the sand coming up with ideas.
Now that I have returned my wife and I are having a house build and as a surprise she had the contractor build an extra portion to the garage so I can have a small woodshop.
I used to have to carry each tool out into the driveway to do work!
I digress here, anyway, I look forward to bugging you all in the future as I learn to use my machine!
V/R,
Marc

Ike
10-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Gents,
Thank you for all the quick responses! I have been thinking about buying one of these for about two years, ever since I saw them on the Sears website while I was in Iraq!
I have so many projects that I want to do with the Machine, I have quite the extensive list in my Workshop Composition notebook. Passed the time in the sand coming up with ideas.
Now that I have returned my wife and I are having a house build and as a surprise she had the contractor build an extra portion to the garage so I can have a small woodshop.
I digress here, anyway, I look forward to bugging you all in the future as I learn to use my machine!
V/R,
Marc

Marc you better keep your wife!!! We look forward to see you as part of the family. This is a great forum you will always get help! Let us know when you get your machine! At Amazon it states order today and you will get it Monday the 5th!

Ike

PCW
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Marc,

First off thank you for serving the country and please let your wife know that I like the way she thinks.:D

Fletcher
10-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey Folks,

I am new here too - been lurking for awhile "studying" what you all had to say about the machine.

I "took the plunge" about three weeks ago and all I can say is wow! what a great little machine! I bought mine as a reconditioned unit from Dealmonger.com. It was $1299 and included the machine(which arrived in great condition), the scanning probe, and all of the router bits and cutters. Oh, and free shipping to boot! I like it so much that I have now ordered the Rock Chuck, bought the Centreline add on, and the STL importer. Can't wait for some free time now!

Cheers!
Fletcher

PCW
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Fletcher,

Welcome to the forum!!

STEAM
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Gents,
V/R,
Marc

Marc
I would like to welcome you to the forum and welcome you home. I also want to send you a very heart felt Thank You for the commitment you made to protect our wonderful county and our way of Life.

Fletcher
10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks PCW - glad to be here. I look forward to learning and sharing here!

MarcTStanley
10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Fletcher,

I have seen that Dealmonger offer on Ebay and have to admit that it is very tempting especially when it comes with the Machine, a Warranty, the probe, and the bit set!

Have you tried yours out yet?

Marc

Ike
10-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Fletcher,

I have seen that Dealmonger offer on Ebay and have to admit that it is very tempting especially when it comes with the Machine, a Warranty, the probe, and the bit set!

Marc
Marc Amazon has a package deal too on the probe and bit set, of course buying a reconditioned machine will cost less. LHR reconditions them so they should be good to go! I am the kind of guy that likes new things I always buy new cars unless I know the background and the same goes for my tools.

But that is just me! A lot of times it is a person not learning how to use the machine and failing to properly clean it they give up and return the unit. Most of the time it is simple things that go out and the owner has no patiences!

Again welcome and yes thank you for your service in Iraq. What branch are you in? Hope to hear you have your machine soon where ever you get it!

Ike

MarcTStanley
10-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Ike,

Found the software download and plan on farting around with it this weekend!

Thanks,
Marc

Ike
10-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Ike,

Found the software download and plan on farting around with it this weekend!

Thanks,
Marc

Great! Trust me you will enjoy how easy it is to use! I V Carve Pro and also another CNC a K2 that I never used. I messed around with V Carve and always go back to the designer! It does what I want and I learn something new everyday.

Enjoy and share what you have designed. We all can see it and help you with any questions

Ike

Fletcher
10-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Fletcher,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I have put about 9 hours on it so far without a hitch. The scanning probe is really cool too. I have worked with a similar scanning machine in the past that cost around $70,000 yet this little machine scans in much the same manner!

You have to use common sense with it and you will be fine. Trying to do 3/4" cutouts in mdf with a 1/8" endmill(cutting bit) in one pass at full depth... maybe not such a good idea. 3-4 passes=less stress on the cutter and the machine and thus makes common sense... I have owned a cnc mini-mill in the past and it didn't come close to the ease of use, capabilities, or speed of this machine - and it cost me 2x as much. I am very happy with my purchase you could say!

Fletcher

MarcTStanley
10-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Gents,

I have been messing with the free design software and was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the background from a black and white image so I can be used in the design?

Not sure if I am explaining myself correctly!

V/R,
Marc

Chief38
10-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Try converting the .jpg to .png, I belive this can drop out the background problem you get with the jpg.

MarcTStanley
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Chief,

Tried the jpg to pnp swamp, no luck, but thanks!

Marc

MarcTStanley
10-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Marc,

I have put about 9 hours on it so far without a hitch. The scanning probe is really cool too. I have worked with a similar scanning machine in the past that cost around $70,000 yet this little machine scans in much the same manner!

You have to use common sense with it and you will be fine. Trying to do 3/4" cutouts in mdf with a 1/8" endmill(cutting bit) in one pass at full depth... maybe not such a good idea. 3-4 passes=less stress on the cutter and the machine and thus makes common sense... I have owned a cnc mini-mill in the past and it didn't come close to the ease of use, capabilities, or speed of this machine - and it cost me 2x as much. I am very happy with my purchase you could say!

Fletcher

Fletch,

I am really leaning towards the Dealmonger Deal! The thought of paying almost a thousand dollars less for the Machine, Bit set, and Probe sound great. Was there any warranty with that purchase or are we just rolling the dice with the Refurb?

V/R,
Marc

MarcTStanley
10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Gents,

FYI, Lowe's is now carrying the Carvewright, it is going for the same price as Sears and Carvewright. It has one review on it and it isn't very flatering!
Anyway, thought I would pass it along.
V/R,
Marc

Ike
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Gents,

FYI, Lowe's is now carrying the Carvewright, it is going for the same price as Sears and Carvewright. It has one review on it and it isn't very flatering!
Anyway, thought I would pass it along.
V/R,
Marc

Marc, don't go by the reviews, if you go to Sears or Amazon and read the reviews you will see good and bad. With as many machines on the market you are bound to have a no so flattering review! Like owning a vehicle I would never own a Dodge, even if you gave one to me. That said, you watch and see how many people will defend Dodge!

You will find it many times the person just starts using the machine without learning how to use it. I am one and went through a couple machines until I stopped and learned how to use and maintain the machine.

If you don't use the correct moly lube for the flex shaft it overheats and will melt the housing. With too much lube it runs down into the Z truck and overheats the bearings.

If is too cold in the shop the machine runs slow. If you fail to keep it clean sensors go out. Other have had issues with the QC and LHR realizes this with a announcement of a new one. Not to mention the "Rock" has fixed the QC issue! Yes sometimes it is a bad machine!

There are several members in this forum that can show and a tell you the CW is a great investment! ( Me included!)

Ike

PS if you want to pay a couple hundred dollars less Amazon.com has the CW for sale for $1689.99 with free shipping regular price. Plus Jason " LittleRedWoodshop" also sells the CW and the last I checked offers the same deal as Amazon. Of you have to wait for the shipping!

MarcTStanley
10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Ike,

I plan on "Taking the Plunge" just have to wait until my house is done in the next month or so. I have no where to store it.

I have been reading the forum when I can and downloaded the software this weekend and have learned a lot on the software. I have four projects saved up and ready to go!

I would like to warn and you that I plan on bugging you when the machine first arrives to make sure I set it up and do everything properly straight out of the chute. When I do make the order, I will probably hit you up for a list of stuff that I will need (i.e. lubes) at start up so I have those items on hand.

When I make the purchase, I plan on buying the "Rock" also. I noticed on Ron's website that there is a 1/4" holder and a 1/2" I think, are those items I will need to order with the Rock? I want to make sure I have everything that I need, but do not want to spend money on items I will not need.

Also, sorry this is turning out longer than I originally planned, "Bits" which ones do I need? Meaning, do I go and buy the Carvewright 11 piece set, or are these items that I can buy at HomeDepot? If I go with the HD option, which bits am I looking for?

I warned you there will be lots of questions! Next times subject "Dust collection" and best ways to keep clean!

Thanks agian for your advice and patients!

V/R,
Marc

dbfletcher
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
The 1/2 rock with the additional sleeves is the most versatile option. If your get the 1/4 and 1/8 sleeve, you should be set. That way you can handle any bit with a 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 shaft.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
If you buy the Rock Chuck, you will not need the Adapters that come with/on the CW Bit Set. You will, however, need to buy high quality carbide bits where ever you go.

You could start by just getting the ones you use in your design(s) and pick up the others as you begin to apply their usage.
AskBud

chebytrk
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
The 1/2 rock with the additional sleeves is the most versatile option. If your get the 1/4 and 1/8 sleeve, you should be set. That way you can handle any bit with a 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 shaft.

Doug Fletcher

My case I purchased the 1/4 Rock and now would have to find a way to get rid of it so I can get the 1/2 with the 1/4 and 1/8 sleeves. So I'm kinda in a spot.

Wilbur
10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I am in the same spot I have both and never use the 1/4", only the 1/2 with the 1/4 sleeve

Wilbur

Kenm810
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I bought them all, --- I wanted a complete set,
I didn't want to feel like I left out the (5 Iron). :razz:

Ike
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Ike,

I plan on "Taking the Plunge" just have to wait until my house is done in the next month or so. I have no where to store it.

I have been reading the forum when I can and downloaded the software this weekend and have learned a lot on the software. I have four projects saved up and ready to go!

I would like to warn and you that I plan on bugging you when the machine first arrives to make sure I set it up and do everything properly straight out of the chute. When I do make the order, I will probably hit you up for a list of stuff that I will need (i.e. lubes) at start up so I have those items on hand.

When I make the purchase, I plan on buying the "Rock" also. I noticed on Ron's website that there is a 1/4" holder and a 1/2" I think, are those items I will need to order with the Rock? I want to make sure I have everything that I need, but do not want to spend money on items I will not need.

Also, sorry this is turning out longer than I originally planned, "Bits" which ones do I need? Meaning, do I go and buy the Carvewright 11 piece set, or are these items that I can buy at HomeDepot? If I go with the HD option, which bits am I looking for?

I warned you there will be lots of questions! Next times subject "Dust collection" and best ways to keep clean!

Thanks agian for your advice and patients!

V/R,
Marc

Marc no problem ask away! How exciting a new house!! Check out www.EagleAmerica.com/pricecutter and you will find 90, 60 and 45 degree bits that I use and they work great! Plus any trim bits you need, as forth to 1/16 ballnose bits Ron Justice sells them or you can get them from CW. Keep in mind you are buying the bit holders too that you do not need with the "Rock".

Ike

supershingler
10-06-2009, 09:02 AM
if you guys have a used rock that you want to sell just drop me a pm

i just bought a used machine and would love to put the rock on it.

i have rocks on both of my other machines

thanks

kendall