PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Shacky
09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I have been reading for a few days and have learned alot! I will be an avid participant here.

I plan on buying a machine this week and have a couple of questions.

1. From what I am reading, the machine will sooner or later, need service. The best bet is to buy it from Sears with a 5 year service plan and NOT to buy a reconditioned model. True?

2. Do I need a full set of bits or does it include some that are seldom used? I see full sets on Ebay for about $100 less-any reason not to buy from there?

3. Carvewright offers several accessories such as bit adapters and bit adjustment tools...Do I need any of these?

4. One of the things I want to do is to make plaques. Do I really need the CenterText software for text to look good?

Thanks in advance. I am excited about this new hobby and think I am really going to enjoy it over the winter.

dbfletcher
09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
This is just my opinion..

I didnt get a 5 year warranty with my machine when I first bought it becuase that wasnt offered back then. Although in the first two months, I had three different machines. Something would break, I'd take it back to sears for a new one. On the third one, LHR convinced me it would be easier to just work with them to get things fixed because they didnt have much faith in new machines off the assembly line being anymore problem free the the two I had previously.

I assume the new ones dont have as many problems.

As for the bit set... It is not required when you first start using the machine. I would get aquainted with the two bits it does come with and start learning the in's and out's of the machine. Same adivce for the "accessories"

There is definately a learning curve....and it seems a lot of the machines have their own individual "personalities"

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
09-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Shacky,
I've sent you a PM.
AskBud