PDA

View Full Version : Carve Region Question

ckrantz
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I've enclosed a MPC of a piece I need to make. I don't have much machine time as of yet so I'm not sure how the taper of the carving bit will make the final product look. My questions is, this piece is a handle thats carved into a piece of wood. There are 90 degree angles, will the taper of the bit keep this piece from looking as it does on the screen? I'm hoping that the piece of wood will match what the graphic looks like.. any one know?

ckrantz
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
How about I remember to attach it:)

AskBud
09-30-2009, 02:08 PM
It should be close enough for government work, since there is not a need for matching insert.
Test it on throw-away stock, if you have a doubt.
AskBud

cnsranch
09-30-2009, 02:15 PM
The only thing I would change is to set Bit Optimization to "Best".

Also, remember that your board is set to 8x5, and your rectangle is 6x2.5.

The edges of the carve shouldn't be closer than 3.5" from the ends of the board - if they are, the board won't stay under the rollers, causing a potential tipping of the board, messing up the carve.

Either place a longer board in the machine, or carve it in a sled.

Kenm810
09-30-2009, 02:34 PM
How about something like reducing the width of the handle slot by 1/8"
at the top and making a single cut with a 1/8" cutting bit
to remove the taper cut of the 1/16" carving bit ----- or Not.

www.go3d.us
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
You can test carve a small section and see how it come out without carving the whole thing.

HT

ckrantz
10-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. The piece is actually much longer, I had to cut this piece out because the file size was too big. I wont have my machine for a month or so. So I'm not sure how it would look. I wish I could choose the 1/8" bit to run this part of the carve instead of the tapered 1/16" bit!