PDA

View Full Version : Editing Drawing Elements

barncarver
09-30-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm just starting out learning the Carvewright software and came across a problem (maybe just a error in my brain). I'm trying to trim a circle from another circle. Is this possible?

I found (in the HELP pulldown) a section called 'Editing Drawing Elements' and it says to select an element and right-click on the path of the drawing element to open a context menu. Then select "Break Figure" from the context menu to turn the drawing element into two separate, unconnected drawing elements.

I'm confused because when I right-click on the path, I don't see a context menu with the Break Figure to choose from.

Can anyone help me?

:confused:Thanks
Barncarver

fwharris
09-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Just tried it and the "break figure" works on everything, square, rect. arc. except the circle and oval tool.

Not sure if this is suppose to work on the circle or not.

Might be a bug....

Kenm810
09-30-2009, 10:18 AM
HI Barncarver,

Welcome to the CW Forum

Not exactly what your asking for, But

Here’s the way I work my way around joining circles or eliminating parts of circles sometimes.
I draw the circles where I want them to the Size I need them
Then trace them with the Spline Tool, break the figure, and intercet “Free”
Pull the open ends of the new Splines circles together till they connect show a red X,
Then delete the original circles and carve the new ones.
I included a mpc file foe you to play with.

barncarver
09-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Ken,

Thanks so much for the advice. I will try it the way you said to. My problem is, I'm trained on Autocad and am too spoiled with the way things are done in Autocad.

Thanks again,
David

barncarver
10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I think the square and rectangle have separate entities and therefore accept the break figure. The circle and oval are one entity. At least this is how it is in Autocad.

Thanks for trying it! Every little bit of knowledge helps!

:-)Barncarver