PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Materials

David M.
05-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello all,

another newby with questions while I wait the arrival of my machine.

I'm wondering if anyone has strayed from the known acceptable materials list and tryed anything different? Shell, abalone, Mother of pearl perhaps.

Has anyone tried to cut and inlay materials, and if so, how small, and how successfully?. I'm considering using this to inlay headstocks on guitars. The cut materials will be inlayed into rosewood or mahogany before they are applied to the instruments.

What seems to be the best test material?, MDF seems like the likely answer, am I right, or is there a better choice, and why.

Thanks for any tips you can supply.

Dan-Woodman
05-03-2006, 03:24 PM
David
MDF carves really nice for practice pieces , but not too small or it breaks delicute pieces. I've been trying to do some inlay work but nothing has worked out yet . There are other posts where we have discussed inlays. later Daniel

David M.
05-03-2006, 08:56 PM
What type of Issues are you running into, are you trying to do multiple piece inlays or simple single shape attempts.

Dan-Woodman
05-04-2006, 03:28 PM
There is another post in techniques, inlays . I've just tried circles, where you can flip the cut path from inside to outside, that looks like it should work.