PDA

View Full Version : rock chuck

Uncle joe's woodworx
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I have installed my new Rock Chuck and would like to thank Ron for a truely fantastic piece of equipment. The experience of less noise,vibration and smooth cutting is something all owners of a Carvewright should experience. My machine is now a joy to operate and my concerns over replacing the QC. are a thing of the past . (replaced one before buying the Rock---- DON'T do what I did QC is poorly designed) Owner since Fathers Day 2009. Once again Thanks Ron. Joe Neri

Kenm810
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Joe,

Good to hear positive Info and posts,
Welcome to the CW Forum. :eek:

rjustice
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I have installed my new Rock Chuck and would like to thank Ron for a truely fantastic piece of equipment. The experience of less noise,vibration and smooth cutting is something all owners of a Carvewright should experience. My machine is now a joy to operate and my concerns over replacing the QC. are a thing of the past . (replaced one before buying the Rock---- DON'T do what I did QC is poorly designed) Owner since Fathers Day 2009. Once again Thanks Ron. Joe Neri

Your welcome Joe!...

Thank you for the kind words, and sharing your positive experience with us!

Happy Carving,

Ron

skeeterman
09-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Have been reading all the post about Rock chuck and have just sat back and waited to here any bad reviews before i purchased, so alas I joined the rock chuck gang, ordered 2 today looking forward to see the results in person
Steve

WRW
09-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I am awaiting the mighty Rock Chuck and some bits from Ron as well. My QC is stuck in the up possition and I have failed in all atempts to lower it.
So here I wait not so patiently for the Rock, all carving and scanning has come to an abrut end as my 1/8 cutting bit flew out of the chuck and bounced around the inside for awile. Not sure if I have found all the bit pieces yet, still working on by bit puzzle. Something to do while I wait.

How many sleeps does it take for a Rock Chuck to get to Canada?
Have a great day all!
Richard

Rickrljones
10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I just order the Rock Chuck from Rjustice, and just in time too. The QC on my carver just disintegrated yesterday. I have one quick question for those who have installed the RC. Are the threads on the QC clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks in advance.

AskBud
10-01-2009, 07:58 AM
here is info from Ron's signature.
AskBud
http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,440

PCW
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I just order the Rock Chuck from Rjustice, and just in time too. The QC on my carver just disintegrated yesterday. I have one quick question for those who have installed the RC. Are the threads on the QC clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks in advance.

They are clockwise (right hand). But please use the link Bud provided because there is some useful information there to aid in the removal of the quick chuck. Make sure you view this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U)as well as the others.

Rickrljones
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question on the removal of the QC. I appreciate the links to help with the removal and installation of the rock chuck.

Rickrljones
10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Just recieved my rock chuck today. Thanks Ron.

rjustice
10-08-2009, 06:13 AM

You are quite welcome Rick. I appreciate your order!... If you run into any questions, feel free to email me using the link below in my signature...

Happy Carving,

Ron

Ike
10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Rick you are going to love it! But be careful not to hit the back rubber belt with the torch on the Z truck! I did and fortunately I didn't melt too much it won't work. It is the rubber belt that moves your Z truck up and down.

Ron's instructions are great, but if you are like me and do not have a 1/2" bit holder you can do what I did and still works great.

What am I talking about? You will need to heat the QC up to break the locktite. I didn't have a 1/2" bit holder, so I took a 1/2" 3" socket extension and inserted it into the QC and it worked great. I then took my mini torch and heated it up. I went too high and hit the rubber belt. If you stay at the large end what I call the knuckle you will be fine!

Enjoy your "Rock" and I hope you have an easy time removing the old QC!

Ike

dbfletcher
10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Also keep in mind that not ALL qc's will require heat. I have a Rev A and a Rev B machine and neither required use of heat to remove the qc.

Doug Fletcher

trplbogie
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I may have to convert to rock chuck. I have had my machine 3 weeks, and nothing but problems with the QC. I believe I am very good with my cleaning. I clean it out with each bit change even during a project. I clean it after all projects. Use toothbrush,dry lube and air to clean. Now I have two bits that are getting pitted and cannot use as they are not stable in the QC. All other bits are stable....but now I have one stuck....cannot get the QC to raise. Hopefully it will cool down a bit and the metals contract and that help. But a call to LHR, who I can get to in 45 mins. since I live here, I have been informed that the QC is not a warranty item on the machine, it is a consumable item. Hmmm,,,,maybe I should BBQ it tonite! Still waiting for a call back from them. I know one thing, they will not be happy with me if I have to show up at their door.

Any suggestions???

fwharris
10-08-2009, 02:49 PM
If the bit and adapter are stuck try working the outer ring of the QC up and down, turn the QC and repeat. Also tap it with the handle of the tooth brush in between trying to work the outer ring up and down. Also with this try rocking the bit/adapter back and forth. You might also check to insure the screws on the adapter are not loose or have burrs on them..

I also notice you are using dry lube, I did that way back when and had the same issue you are with the pitting. I think the dry lube does not lube as good as 3-1 oil.. and found it also lead to rust problems. I put a small amount of 3-1 on a rag and wipe the inside of the QC after I have cleaned all of the dust out.

Rick P
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
trplbogie ... get a ROCK chuck as soon as you can.

LollyWood
10-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Rock arrived for thing 2 this week. But, just like kids, no two trucks are alike. Thing 2 didn't want to give up it's QC w/o a fight. Cooked the QC to an unrecognizable blob. That red loctite is no joke. Had to get spare truck out and pop, Rock ready. Just in time for Fall orders.

I know we all have had to tighten our belts a bit, and extra spending cash is in short supply, but when possible folks, get the Rock Chuck. You will never reget it. IMHO The best add on since Centerline Text and the V-bit. (STL importer not withstanding.) Nice design RJ thank you :)

Just my 2Cs

trplbogie
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I may have to convert to rock chuck. I have had my machine 3 weeks, and nothing but problems with the QC. I believe I am very good with my cleaning. I clean it out with each bit change even during a project. I clean it after all projects. Use toothbrush,dry lube and air to clean. Now I have two bits that are getting pitted and cannot use as they are not stable in the QC. All other bits are stable....but now I have one stuck....cannot get the QC to raise. Hopefully it will cool down a bit and the metals contract and that help. But a call to LHR, who I can get to in 45 mins. since I live here, I have been informed that the QC is not a warranty item on the machine, it is a consumable item. Hmmm,,,,maybe I should BBQ it tonite! Still waiting for a call back from them. I know one thing, they will not be happy with me if I have to show up at their door.

Any suggestions???

Sitting here at LHR waiting for my QC to be replaced. Still cannot believe it is not warranty. However everyone here is very nice. New one is supposed t be out in Jan. Sounds like it will be the way to go. Connie has been very helpful.
We will see once the machine is ready.

dbfletcher
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Its hard to say if the new LHR chuck will be the best option. However, the rock has a proven track record and I have yet to see a bad word spoken about the rock or rjustice.

The rock is a win-win for everyone involved.

Doug Fletcher

trplbogie
10-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Got a new QC and two new bits. They gave me a pretty good idea of what their new device will be and it sounds very good. As with anything time will tell. I get to go to LHR some and they are always very nice and of great service. Because of my close proximity to them I probably have a better idea that most of their operations. Hey, but I 've got to get back to carving....thanks to all involved for the help.

fwharris
10-09-2009, 01:43 PM
The man with the inside scoop!!!

Glad you got fixed up!!!