PDA

View Full Version : classy christmas wreath

Wilbur
09-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I got the pattern for the wreath. We had a problem with the carving. The top left an top right would not fit into the ring. We had to do alot of trimming to get the top and left to fit into the ring. Is this normal or did we do something wrong? We are in the process of painting it now, so I will post it when we get a picture of it.

Dolores

mtylerfl
09-29-2009, 09:12 AM
I got the pattern for the wreath. We had a problem with the carving. The top left an top right would not fit into the ring. We had to do alot of trimming to get the top and left to fit into the ring. Is this normal or did we do something wrong? We are in the process of painting it now, so I will post it when we get a picture of it.

Dolores

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the "glitch" in your project. I am pleased to know that you were able to salvage it though and am looking forward to seeing a photo of your finished wreath!

If the project is run just as it is, the parts will fit perfectly. By any chance did you move or rotate any of the components when you had the project opened in the Designer software? If so, that will definitely cause the parts not to fit together properly. Avoid altering the layout in any way, otherwise the project won't come out correctly.

Naturally, I am assuming you didn't have any machine issues (such as a tracking problem). From what you described though, I am pretty sure that something in the layout was changed before you ran the project.

Can you let me know if this was the case? Thanks!

jjack9485
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Delores,

I just carved mine recently, no problems. You know there is a designed gap between each ring, and when you set the top pieces they cover up and hide the gaps. Glad you were to salvaged it, because you surely will get complements on it.

Jack

Wilbur
09-29-2009, 11:31 AM
We didn't do any changing. We had the gap between the rings, no moving or rotating anything. As far as I know no trouble with the machine. I opened each project into designer uploaded it to the card, and off to the machine. Oh well if there was going to be something to happen, it would be to us:) Will get the picture up tommorrow. I am using software 1.153

Dolores

mtylerfl
09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
We didn't do any changing. We had the gap between the rings, no moving or rotating anything. As far as I know no trouble with the machine. I opened each project into designer uploaded it to the card, and off to the machine. Oh well if there was going to be something to happen, it would be to us:) Will get the picture up tommorrow. I am using software 1.153

Dolores

The only other thing I can think of is that the machine was allowed to scale the project. Do you recall being prompted whether to scale the project at any point? (if any type of scaling was allowed, that would be the reason for any ill-fitting parts)

Wilbur
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
You are right!! He did scale to width on it, he only had the two choices of scale to width or load another board. Now my question is why it done that? We had the right sizes for all 4 boards with the 7 inches added to it just like the instructions said. Would that mean there is something not right with the board or what? Will start on another one tomorrow. Got this one painted, just need to take a picture of it so I can put it on here tomorrow. Two people have already seen it with the paint drying and liked it.

Thanks
Dolores

mtylerfl
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
You are right!! He did scale to width on it, he only had the two choices of scale to width or load another board. Now my question is why it done that? We had the right sizes for all 4 boards with the 7 inches added to it just like the instructions said. Would that mean there is something not right with the board or what? Will start on another one tomorrow. Got this one painted, just need to take a picture of it so I can put it on here tomorrow. Two people have already seen it with the paint drying and liked it.

Thanks
Dolores

Hello,

Either the board was not the right size or the machine measured it wrong for some reason. My guess is that the machine is ok, but the board was slightly off on size.

I wrote an article about scaling -perhaps it will help you avoid the problem in the future:

Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 18 March 2009
"Scaling and How To Avoid It" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

Wilbur
09-30-2009, 08:19 AM
I read the article last night. We started the other one today and the same thing happened scale to width. He started over and put it not to be under the rollers since we have the 7 inches added to it, like I was reading in the article and we didn't get no scaling, so we'll see how it goes from there.

Here is the one we already done.

Thanks
Dolores

RayTrek
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Hello Dolores,

That looks Great! Nice save.
Just as a thought, since Michael had made this project, the width of the wood we bye at HD and Lowe’s is a little smaller. I have had to change some of my earlier projects from/to 11.250 to 11.200 etc. and that will correct the scale to width prompt. I am wondering if Michael agrees with this and recommends this. I do not have this project so I do not know if this is the case. Just a thought and question I have.
Cannot wait to see more of your projects.
Ray

mtylerfl
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Hello Dolores,

That looks Great! Nice save.
Just as a thought, since Michael had made this project, the width of the wood we bye at HD and Lowe’s is a little smaller. I have had to change some of my earlier projects from/to 11.250 to 11.200 etc. and that will correct the scale to width prompt. I am wondering if Michael agrees with this and recommends this. I do not have this project so I do not know if this is the case. Just a thought and question I have.
Cannot wait to see more of your projects.
Ray

Hello Dolores,

Wow! You did a fantastic job on the Wreath - Beautiful!! Can't wait to see the next one(s)!

Yes, as Ray mentioned, the wood we buy from Lowes and Home Depot is "shrinking". The fix that Ray mentioned by changing the board width dimension in Designer to 11.2" (instead of 11.25) will eliminate the scale/width issue. (Assuming of course that your board is at least 11.2" wide!)

My more recent Projects of the Month already specify 11.2" to allow for the "shrinking wood" that the stores are now selling - sometimes I'll specify even less than that in the POM (11" width for the Autumn Leaf Dishes, for example).

jjack9485
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow! Dolores, that is beautiful. Is that green a stain?

Jack

Wilbur
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the comments!! Hopefully got this scale to width thing fiqured out now. On the paint he had stained it with golden pecan, then I painted over that with Americana acrylic paint festive green. it was one of them accident things. I didn't want it stained, I was going to paint it green, but I kinda thought it turned out pretty good with the stain, and the green on top.

Thanks again!!

Dolores

supershingler
10-03-2009, 06:35 PM
just a little trick i use if i get a scale to width message.

take the board back out and add a piece of masking tape on the non keypad side and hang it over 1/4" and the machine will think the board is wider and it shouldnt affect the carvings

the wreath looks great

kendall

Wilbur
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Well was in the process of doing another wreath and the machine went down:mad: So now it has gone to Sears to get repaired. If it's not one thing it is another!!

Dolores