PDA

View Full Version : question

ajk
09-28-2009, 04:04 PM
:confused:my qc is getting hot but the flex shaft is not. i keep both lubed and clean. is anything that i can do to prevent it. heat up after about 2 hours of carving.
another question what is the life expect of my 1/16 carving bit.

regards
albert

dbfletcher
09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
I would remove the top hat and make sure there is no lube that seeped down from the flex shaft. My got real warm shortly after lubing the flex shaft, and after i cleaned under the tophat... all went back to normal.

Doug Fletcher

PCW
09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Also bit could be dull and transferring heat up to the chuck. Make sure the bit is sharp and pitch free.

I guess it depends alot on the type of wood you are using as to the bit life. I use mostly Ash and Oak. I have had good luck and have almost 200 hours on a bit and no sign of being dull.

ajk
09-28-2009, 04:38 PM
we use mohaganny

cnsranch
09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
So long as the head doesn't get above 120 degrees F you're ok. I had a concern in the beginning, LHR gave me that spec, I use a infrared thermometer to keep an eye on it.

Wilbur
09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I have just found out that with me a dull bit will cause some error stalls.
I cut mostly poplar and cedar and have a bit that last 200 hr but bought a bit that only last about 40 hr. This was suppose to be a better bit. It cost more, a good 10.00 more.

I don't know how you can be sure you have a quality bit other than running it.

I got three coming from Northern but after I ordered I seen the same bits on Amazon for 10.00 less. I know they are the same because Amazon orders through Northern.

Over all, coming up on 500 hr of run time and using the rock I have not had a problem except for one dull bit.

Wilbur

liquidguitars
09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
:confused:my qc is getting hot but the flex shaft is not. i keep both lubed and clean. is anything that i can do to prevent it. heat up after about 2 hours of carving.
another question what is the life expect of my 1/16 carving bit.

regards
albert

I clean my router bits with a brass wire brush and pitch remover before every carve.
seems to help.

LG