PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Compucarve

Darthmaul1964
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I am considering buying a reconditioned Compucarve from sears. I bought a new one about a year ago for my school but want to get one for myself at home. I get mixed reviews from Sears.com for the reconditioned unit. Has anyone here purchansed a reconditioned one? What is the warrantee on a recon?

want2learn
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I saw on ebay there is a seller [DEAL-MONGER] that claims to be directly thru Carvewright and offers Carvewright warranty. As for a used machine, it might be pretty hard to get a warranty covered by Carvewright?? As with most warranties, they only cover original owners. The Carvewright I saw comes with the scanning probe. $1249.00

want2learn
10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
just noticed that it is thru sears and it should be covered, you should go for the five year warranty if you can

hogiewan
10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
just noticed that it is thru sears and it should be covered, you should go for the five year warranty if you can

sears does not offer the extended warranty on the reconditioned units and they only have a 90 warranty. I think the reconditioned units are great if you need a second one (or third or fourth) as you should be familiar with problems and how to fix them by the time you need another

seabass
10-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I purchased a reconditioned CompuCarve for 899.00 free shipping at Sears.

The machine works great!

Definitely lube that flex shaft. I tried the machine and after 5 minutes the flex cable started to melt. I stopped, lubed it up over night. Hung it upside down for a day(a lot dripped off) and then installed it. The flex cable is never hot at all now. Why the company does not pre-lube is beyond me.

Other than that the reconditioned unit looks new, runs new and I am very happy saving so much money. I get no vibration in the handle at all, none(still ordered a Rock chuck though).

If you purchase a re-conditioned unit you MUST read everything you can. I had a few errors and knew exactly what to do. If I had not read up I would have been very frustrated and can see how so many get the unit and ruin it.

I would rather save the money and order the parts as needed than spend an additional 800.00-1000.00 up front(simply did not have the money anyway) PLUS a warranty costing near 300.00 just to send the unit in for weeks. More times then not it does not come back repaired correctly anyway. To me most of this unit is easily repaired and saving so much money, even if I put a 1000.00 into later, I would be spending no more than anyone purchasing new. And I have a great chance of never putting that much money into the machine!

At 899.99 free ship even with a 90 day warranty I suggest it is the way to go, at least it was for me. The warranty is over rated in my eyes. I am so glad I ignored the naysayers and got this unit! Actually, I just talked to my guy at Sears. The warranty is 6 months on the reconditioned units, even though they may not state that fact in all areas and many online info says 90 days. He also sent me a link to another 10% off, that's darn near only 800.00 for the unit(if the rebate actually works)!

hogiewan
10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
The warranty is over rated in my eyes.

Probably, but so is life insurance.

mabco12
10-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Bob,
I teach middle school and purchased two recons and so far so good on them. There is no warranty on reconditioned units :(.

Mike Berndt
Davisville Middle School
North Kingstown, RI

RayDoggett
10-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I am considering buying a reconditioned Compucarve from sears. I bought a new one about a year ago for my school but want to get one for myself at home. I get mixed reviews from Sears.com for the reconditioned unit. Has anyone here purchansed a reconditioned one? What is the warrantee on a recon?I just got one, it says you are on your own!! I have carved a few different things, so far so good.

jackssib1
10-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I seen they have a 6 mo.s warr. on them

unitedcases
10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Its a hard decision. I have been seesawing back and forth myself for quite some time. 1000 for a lemon or 2000 for brand new with a warranty. I think that most of us are skilled enough to fix whatever happens to it, but there is always that time when you have to wait on parts. That sucks! But there could be good dividends by buying the cheaper one. Who knows?

seabass
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I have seen 4 or 5 reconditioned and seriously I can not tell they were not brand new. I tore one apart last night because of an issue and every part looked brand new. I really believe CarveWright gets these refurbs up to spec. If you want to send it in for repair than yes get a new one. Heck I ordered a part and had it back to me in 3 days, I barely could have got the machine to them in 3 days.

I do not believe any certified refurbished machine is any more likely to be a lemon than a new one. I would buy another in a heart beat. It was a lot easier cutting the hood for a dust collector and adding the Rock to a refurb for me than it would have been cutting up a new 2000.00 machine. Heck I really did not want to cut the 1 inch off my refurb it looked so pretty.

unitedcases
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Well said but still scary nonetheless. You just dont know what your getting and you cant even look at it first. Does it come with a short warranty at all?

waynethornton
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I purchased a refurb and have had no problems. I even picked it up at LHR direct and a couple of weeks of carving had a porblem. I took it back in and they fixed it under warranty even though it said no warranty. I think the staff at LHR is the best and great customer service.

cabman67
10-20-2009, 12:06 AM
i purchased my recond. machine on ebay as a package deal that included a new 11 pc bit set and the scanning probe for $1270 with shipping, have had it for a couple weeks now and can't say enough good things about it. Have been making family name signs for relatives and neighbors and have already been making some extra money with it.
This is by far the coolest machine in my shop, thank you LHR.
Dan Hall
Hutchinson, MN

seabass
10-20-2009, 01:33 AM
90 day no questions asked return at Sears - 6 month warranty too.

SJ12
01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I purchased a refurb and have had no problems. I even picked it up at LHR direct and a couple of weeks of carving had a porblem. I took it back in and they fixed it under warranty even though it said no warranty. I think the staff at LHR is the best and great customer service.

I bought mine on E-bay from Deal Monger, when you have issues Deal Monger tell you to call LHR then LHR tells you to call Deal Monger.

I have had nothing but probelms with this unit. I bought mine in oct 09 has 90hrs on it, 45 service hours 4 chewed up bits ( ball imprints on bits), one broken bit, 3 chucks later and $200 worth of wood to produce 3 good products. is an expensive lesson.

Please learn from my mistake buy new from sears and get a 5 year warranty.

CarverJerry
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
I got my machine at Amazon, and after reading all the issues on referbs, I'd spend the few extra bucks and get it "new" from Sears, only for the reason they give the longest warrenty of any one. If only I would have been on this forum to read all this stuff!!!!!:roll:

bobtom
01-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I purchased mine from Sears reconditioned for
999.00 with free shipping, about 9 months ago.
The only problem I had with it was a faulty limit
switch, which I still haven'treplaced.
Has worked well from day one.
Bobtom

onetexasoldman
02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah I got mine from DEAL MONGER on ebay also and have had some issues with it and he tells me also to LMR and talk to Omar the big wheel??? Well it takes him a week to call back. I have ordered the Rock and hope it takes care of a couple issues I have.
But am impressed with the machine and what it does
Larry in the Rockies

jamjam
02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah I got mine from DEAL MONGER on ebay also and have had some issues with it and he tells me also to LMR and talk to Omar the big wheel??? Well it takes him a week to call back. I have ordered the Rock and hope it takes care of a couple issues I have.
But am impressed with the machine and what it does
Larry in the Rockies

I got one from the Deal Monger on ebay. They say they will replace it if it is DOA, so I ran a project as soon as I recieved it, and everything was OK. If it would have failed i would have sent it back for replacement. It Looked like a new one when i got it.

John