PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 carving/Cutting bits

Fardoche
09-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Hello

I got my machine last week and my 1/8 carving bit is already broken!!!

I have carved a few softwood pieces (pine!!)

I would like to know if you use 1/8 carving bits other brand than de Carvewright.

There's no CW dealer aroung here and I would like to check for alternative product.

Thanks for helping me!

Francois
Upnorth Montreal, Québec, Canada!

c6craig
09-28-2009, 08:27 AM
The concensus on the forum is for Ron Justice's stuff (Rock Chuck, bits, etc)
You can find his stuff at http://www.cw-parts.com/

I understand the moderator Jeff Birt also sells a nice bit, but I haven't personally tried it. You can find his bits at http://soigeneris.com/PreciseBitsCarving.aspx

Hope that helps.

Craig

AskBud
09-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Hello

I got my machine last week and my 1/8 carving bit is already broken!!!

I have carved a few softwood pieces (pine!!)

I would like to know if you use 1/8 carving bits other brand than de Carvewright.

There's no CW dealer aroung here and I would like to check for alternative product.

Thanks for helping me!

Francois
Upnorth Montreal, Québec, Canada!

First, let's make sure you and I understand the bits, and their usage.

The machine comes with a 1/16" "Carving" bit and a 1/8" Cutting bit.

In general terms:
The 1/16 Carving bit is what is used for carving most patterns in your Favorites Library and from the Forum. It is the bit used for Carved Regions as well.

The 1/8" Cutting bit is not intended to be used in place of the "Carving" bit.
The 1/16" Carving Bit has a taper to give it the strength for the heavy job it does.

The 1/8 Cutting bit is for cutting outlines, drilling, and some vectors.
Many of us suggest that you use the "Maximum Pass Depth" with the Cutting bits, in order to control the breakage problem(s). Not all wood cuts like butter, and we would rather take small bites rather than place undue strain on the bit. I use a "Max Pass Depth" of (.2) on almost all of mine.
AskBud

Fardoche
09-28-2009, 09:02 AM
AskBud,

thanks for your clarification.

To cut with the 1/8 bits a have set the max depth do .25, now I'll .20.

Thanks a lot!!!!

First, let's make sure you and I understand the bits, and their usage.

The machine comes with a 1/16" "Carving" bit and a 1/8" Cutting bit.

In general terms:
The 1/16 Carving bit is what is used for carving most patterns in your Favorites Library and from the Forum. It is the bit used for Carved Regions as well.

The 1/8" Cutting bit is not intended to be used in place of the "Carving" bit.
The 1/16" Carving Bit has a taper to give it the strength for the heavy job it does.

The 1/8 Cutting bit is for cutting outlines, drilling, and some vectors.
Many of us suggest that you use the "Maximum Pass Depth" with the Cutting bits, in order to control the breakage problem(s). Not all wood cuts like butter, and we would rather take small bites rather than place undue strain on the bit. I use a "Max Pass Depth" of (.2) on almost all of mine.
AskBud