PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Leaf Wooden Dishes

mtylerfl
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello,

Here is a sneak preview of the next Project of the Month - "Autumn Leaf Dishes". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

Inspired by the beauty of Autumn, these Maple leaf and Oak leaf shallow serving dishes are a functional and decorative addition to your fall decor! This project is a two-sided carve using just the 1/16" carving bit that came with your CarveWright or CompuCarve machine - no other bits are required.

Each leaf dish measures approximately ¾" thick x 10" x 11".

Main items you will need:

1) The 2 Project Files (included)
Maple_Leaf_Dish_1.mpc
Oak_Leaf_Dish_2.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

Maple Leaf (1 board): .75" x 11.2" x 19"
Oak Leaf (1 board): .75" x 11.2" x 19"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Autumn Leaf Dishes made from Select Pine wood...

Finish Details:
• One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

• MinWax Sedona Red Stain #222 (Maple Leaf)
• Diluted Amber Shellac (Oak Leaf)

• Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic Gloss, plus a final "wet" coat. I spot-sanded some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper before final wet coat. I used about 2 spray cans.

c6craig
09-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Beautiful!! I can't wait! Thanks again for another wonderful project!

Craig

Wild Bill
09-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Have thought about this before making a post. Hope not to offend, I know a lot of work went into this pattern. But, my sense is they look "cold" and "calculated." They lack the "warmth" and "intricacies" of a hand carved item often seen in other CW patterns.

LollyWood
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Those are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. :D Just what is needed for the Fall-Christmas gap. Are these going to be a POM? (not a subscriber, but will buy it from the store) Nice work Sir!!

mtylerfl
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Have thought about this before making a post. Hope not to offend, I know a lot of work went into this pattern. But, my sense is they look "cold" and "calculated." They lack the "warmth" and "intricacies" of a hand carved item often seen in other CW patterns.

Thank you, Wild Bill, for your comments.

For a hand carved look, I have often thought about making more patterns that include "knife marks" and the like for a more rustic "hand-hewn" appearance.

Perhaps I'll do that on some patterns in the future. I do love different styles! These dish patterns have more of a polished, high-end look. Not easily accomplished as a carve done by hand, but certainly possible by some skilled carvers, I'm sure.

Thanks again!

mtylerfl
09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Beautiful!! I can't wait! Thanks again for another wonderful project!

Craig

Those are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. :D Just what is needed for the Fall-Christmas gap. Are these going to be a POM? (not a subscriber, but will buy it from the store) Nice work Sir!!

Hello Craig and Bernie,

Thank you for your comments. It is a fun project and illustrates to the user how the 1/16" bit accomplishes both the double-sided carve and cut out all by itself.

Here's a little background on the project creation:

I created the full 3D leaf dish models in ArtCAM, did some hand sculpting using the ArtCAM Sculpting Tools, then saved the "mated" front and back of each leaf dish as an STL file, which I then imported into the CarveWright STL Importer. It was really easy at that point to automatically create the front and back patterns from each of the leaf dish STL's using the Slicing Tool. This is the first time I have publicly offered any patterns/projects (as a POM) that I used the new STL Importer to derive the patterns from STL models that I created myself.

Kenm810
09-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Lookin Good Michael,

Fun stuff for the Holidays! :wink:

TIMCOSBY
09-27-2009, 11:42 PM
carves two and puts a hinge on it for a box.

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2009, 05:47 AM
Someone want to hand me my Jaw back.... It dragggggin on the floor again... Excellent work.... The potential for more complicated and exciting projects are HERE NOW with the STL.... I have SO much to learn....

The simple 1/16 inch cut out feature will be such a great CASH COW for me this Holiday Season.... Just imagine when I learn STL...

AL

RayTrek
09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Michael,

Another way to cool project, your talent with imagination is outstanding, I also have to replace my key board soon the jaw has hit it so many times lately it is starting to crack.
I am doing the “Baroque Corner Shelf” today
Thank you for all the great learning tools you give us, your work is an Icon to what can be done with the machine.
Ray

jpaluck
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice looking Michael..got love the stl importer makes modeling things exact..very easy...using to make some small furniture items I designed in 3d so far all the mortise and tenons go together perfectly and size exact.. will post results when finished waiting on x drive gears

mtylerfl
09-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Nice looking Michael..got love the stl importer makes modeling things exact..very easy...using to make some small furniture items I designed in 3d so far all the mortise and tenons go together perfectly and size exact.. will post results when finished waiting on x drive gears

Sounds great, John - can't wait to see your method of creating the mortise and tenons, as well as the furniture items themselves!

jpaluck
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Michael,

For the mortise and tenon joint when modeling I factor in the 1/8 inch for the cutting bit when cutting the mortise and tenon. Was a bit of a mind teaser at first but now getting used to factoring it in..reqires a little clean up but not much..probably faster by hand..just wanted to see how exact you can model something with the stl importer.