PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 inch cutting bit

corsair1961
09-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Quick question? Has anyone used a 1/4 inch cutting bit in the Rock Chuck and if so did you have any problems? Does any one know if it will hurt the machine?

Thanks
Rick

Kenm810
09-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Rick,

I've used in the CW QC with out any problems, so it should work fine in the the Rock Chuck.
Just remember to set to max cutting passes at .125" or .250" per pass,
I wouldn't recommend trying to cut through any project board with the 1/8" or 1/4" or any other bit in one pass.

Ps. Welcome to the Cw Forum

corsair1961
09-27-2009, 02:46 PM
We broke four cutting bits and had enough of the QC so went to the Rock. Since we are so new at this my wife and I didn't know about doing just the max cutting paths. We are learning by trial and lots of error. lol. The machine is amazing. We appreciate the help from the forum. Thanks Ken.
Rick

jpaluck
09-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Got the rock chuck a week ago and love it. Yep you can cut with 1/8 bit..just like ken said set the cut depth to no more than .25 ..some go.3. The depth per pass is under cut path on the bottome of the dialouge box.

rjustice
09-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Quick question? Has anyone used a 1/4 inch cutting bit in the Rock Chuck and if so did you have any problems? Does any one know if it will hurt the machine?

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick,
The machine and the Rock Chuck will handle the tool just fine. I agree with Ken to limit the depth of cuts as he mentioned to be safe. You could probably get it down to 2 depths of cut with the 1/4" bit... .375 per pass on 3/4" stock...

Happy Carving,

Ron

mtylerfl
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
We broke four cutting bits and had enough of the QC so went to the Rock. Since we are so new at this my wife and I didn't know about doing just the max cutting paths. We are learning by trial and lots of error. lol. The machine is amazing. We appreciate the help from the forum. Thanks Ken.
Rick

Hello Rick,

I love hearing about a husband and wife team using this wonderful machine! Welcome to both of you!

Just wanted to let you know, there is no need to learn everything by 'trial and error'. You can avoid a ton of "new user foibles" that some of us went through ourselves "back in the day" by simply reading through the Tips & Tricks newsletters. Especially the Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues will help you avoid the most common mistakes and you'll learn machine maintenance - those are a "must read" IMHO - might save you some unnecessary and totally preventable headaches down the road.;)

By the way, the Max. Pass procedure for Cut Paths was covered about a year ago in the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 12 September 2008
"Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights " (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

All the best, and have fun with your new machine!