PDA

View Full Version : Machine won't carve properly at all

lloydandcarissa
09-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Oh please help!!!

We have only had our Carvewright for a week. I love it! But we experienced our first problem last night.

The 1/2 inch straight bit was secured in the chuck when carving started. You can see on the peice (of wood) where the cut gradually got deeper and deeper (far deeper than the depth set in the pattern) then BLAM, the bit flew out of the machine!!! It chipped the bit and marred the black metal beneath the wood.

After checking the machine thoroughly, we put another project through the machine using the 1/16 carving bit. For the first few inches it carved beautifully! Then all of a sudden it shallowed the carve immensely and lost all (and I do mean all) detail! Aborted this project and went over the machine again.

Put one more small, simple project through the machine as a tester (a small fleur de lis). Again with the 1/16 carving bit. It carved beautifully for the first few inches and then it screwed up. This time instead of carving too shallow it almost cut through the .75 thick board. The depth of the pattern was set at .125!!!

We baby this machine! It's thoroughly cleaned and lubed after every single use! We don't carve complex or complicated patterns. We check the pressure before each use.

And the bit that flew out of the machine like a missile was firmly attached in the chuck...

So what made it fly out, why is the carving screwed up, and what can we do to fix this?

Seeking any and all advice on this.

Lloyd and Carissa Peoples

DocWheeler
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
lloydandcarissa,

See this thread (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8438&highlight=too+deep) or search for more - use quotation marks around the search like "too deep". I would suggest that you carefully remove the back cover of the Z-motor (be careful about the two nuts on that fall loose) to see if there is dust inside.

Sorry that you are having problems. Hope you get it resolved shortly.

eromran
09-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I would start with bit being secure in chuck just for the simple fact that you said it was secure then BLAM, the bit flew out of the machine!!! So the bit wasn't secure in chuck or something caused it to become unsecured. For instance the reason it could start carving shallow is when the bit goes down it eventually pusses it farther into chuck if after awhile it has time to slip down to far that would cause it to carve to deep. If your bit has a flat spot on it make sure you are tightening it up right also make sure you are not getting any lube in where the bit tightens up. Then after this just try one more little oooomph when tightening hope this helps let us know. One more thought at beging of carve check how far your bit is down from chuck then when it starts messing up check it again and compare both measurement that should rule out bit moving or not.

lloydandcarissa
09-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Thank you all so much!

The 1/2 bit is the only that has not successfully stayed in the chuck. Before carving started it was correctly inserted and was locked...we have since retired that particular bit...lol!

If we do find dust or debris in the Z-pack...how do we ensure that it stays out from now on. We've only put (less than) ten hours on the machine so far. We clean it after each use with an air compressor...carefully using "soft" air around the computer parts. Never ever blowing directly on them. Is the z-pack a common issue with the CW?

Lloyd and Carissa :)

DocWheeler
09-27-2009, 12:31 PM
lloydandcarissa,

The old Z-pack was a problem in that the 18 conductor flat cable was not sufficient to carry the current necessary for the motor (I think), The homing sensor was changed, and the probe connection was changed. These last two added wiring that is no longer used. The motors themselves were changed and have different length cooling fins.

As for sealing the encoders, they have tried it seems, but there are still issues in that area.

Count the number of conductors on the flat cable that connects to the Y truck, 18 = old, 14 = new.

Digitalwoodshop
09-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I think Ken is on the right track... You might have the OLD Z setup....

Look at the pictures and look at your Z Motor and see if it has the long fins (OLD) and short fins (New Z Bundle).

If you machine was in stock for a long time in some warehouse or if you have had it over 2 years.... You might have the OLD Z and it was known for Z Diving into the board....

Lets stat with that.... Also watch your Z Belt and cogs, they can collect sawdust and cause the Z to stick on the up stroke and then make the correct number of pulses in the down stroke.... It dives into the board....

OR that no man's land between the upper and lower bearing on the Z... You must reach into the area between the bearings on the Z and clean sawdust lumps on the rails.

As for blowing air on the unit.... EVERY bit change I use a air nozzle to blow out the Z Belt area.... Every time....

Get in a habit to watch the bit touch the bit flag every time... That is a real indicator of the health of your machine.... 2 touches everything is GOOD.... 3 touches tells you it did not like the data the first touch and is usually an indicator of dirty rails, dirty belt, Dirty cogs of the gears.

Good Luck,

AL