PDA

View Full Version : What Happened

wasacop75
09-26-2009, 03:29 PM
There is a 4 1/2 in gap in this carving.
The N in Unique and between the E and A in Creations
has a huge gap in it..... there was not an electric flicker
i was in the garage the whole time, i did not use
any other electric tools. Any idead?

I will try to post the mpc :confused:

cestout
09-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I see nothing wrong. Put the board back in and carve it again. If your machine is calibrated correctly, I should follow the original exactly. If it was a fluke, everything will be OK. Is the board flat? Outline is not very deep and if your board moved down away the bit, It would miss the wood.
Clint

wasacop75
09-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I still dont know what went wrong... i am trying it again.

mtylerfl
09-26-2009, 10:26 PM
There is a 4 1/2 in gap in this carving.
The N in Unique and between the E and A in Creations
has a huge gap in it..... there was not an electric flicker
i was in the garage the whole time, i did not use
any other electric tools. Any idead?

I will try to post the mpc :confused:

Hello,

This type of issue is nearly always due to board slippage/binding and/or the Tracking Roller losing contact with the board.

- make sure your wood is straight and flat, and has square edges with no defects (bad wood causes all sorts of troubles - bad tracking is most common 'cause a warped/cupped/twisted board loses contact intermittently with the tracking roller)

-check the Brass Tracking Roller rubber O-ring (make sure it is in the groove and not damaged in any way - if damaged, replace it)

- do not push the sliding plate too tight against the board (use two playing cards as a spacer when sliding the guide plate against a board, then remove the cards, leaving a slight gap between the board and the sliding guide plate)

- place masking tape along the underside edge of the board that will come in contact the brass tracking roller if you suspect slippage

roughcut
09-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I asked this question in another post but maybe you might answer it . My damper spring under the board tracking assembly is missing .would this cause a slippage ? I don't understand the purpose of the damper .It seems to me the spring on the tracking roller would hold the wheel to the board. (thanks)

Hello,

This type of issue is nearly always due to board slippage/binding and/or the Tracking Roller losing contact with the board.

- make sure your wood is straight and flat, and has square edges with no defects (bad wood causes all sorts of troubles - bad tracking is most common 'cause a warped/cupped/twisted board loses contact intermittently with the tracking roller)

-check the Brass Tracking Roller rubber O-ring (make sure it is in the groove and not damaged in any way - if damaged, replace it)

- do not push the sliding plate too tight against the board (use two playing cards as a spacer when sliding the guide plate against a board, then remove the cards, leaving a slight gap between the board and the sliding guide plate)

- place masking tape along the underside edge of the board that will come in contact the brass tracking roller if you suspect slippage

mtylerfl
09-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I asked this question in another post but maybe you might answer it . My damper spring under the board tracking assembly is missing .would this cause a slippage ? I don't understand the purpose of the damper .It seems to me the spring on the tracking roller would hold the wheel to the board. (thanks)

Hello,

Yes, you need the damper, and yes, that would cause that type of problem if it is missing. Contact LHR to get a new one and instruction on how to put it back where it belongs.

Basically, you just remove the screws holding the tracking roller assembly and put the damper back on top of the screwhead that's under it, then replace the assembly - about a 5 minute job. You might check under your machine (or in your vacuum cleaner) - your original damper is probably around there somewhere. Hopefully you'll find it and get back to carving this afternoon!

wasacop75
09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
The board was a good one. One of those high dollar ones as a matter of fact.

I did put masking tape on the side with the roller.

The slide was not tight. I checked that one out first...

So, i dont have an idea....

But tried it again last night, at least to the part where it skipped....

worked to that point.

Trying again today..

Will post when i get the carve done.

roughcut
09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Hello,

Yes, you need the damper, and yes, that would cause that type of problem if it is missing. Contact LHR to get a new one and instruction on how to put it back where it belongs.

Basically, you just remove the screws holding the tracking roller assembly and put the damper back on top of the screwhead that's under it, then replace the assembly - about a 5 minute job. You might check under your machine (or in your vacuum cleaner) - your original damper is probably around there somewhere. Hopefully you'll find it and get back to carving this afternoon!

Thanks Michael guess I'll call in the morning and order one and a spare. I'll order enough spare parts to make the shipping costs worth it. Thanks again.

www.go3d.us
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Hi, the damper help push the tracking roller against the wood so it can get a good grip.

HT