PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Pattern

Woodhacker
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Anyone have an idea about why this pattern would get longer when it is rotated? :confused: Seems a little strange to me. Any suggestions welcomed!! Thanx!

Richard

AskBud
09-26-2009, 02:28 PM
It appears to be a program glitch.
All the sizes, and depth/height are the same, however, when you rotate 180 it appears to grow to touch the line top & bottom. This is not true of the original.
AskBud

cestout
09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Did you place the pattern twice, or once then copy and paste the second. The latter is my preferred method. That way I can size the pattern once, and the copies match. In the box at the top right, after selecting the left cross, note the dimensions: select the right one and make the dimensions match, either by stretching or typing in the dimension box.
Clint

AskBud
09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Cestout,
I hate to throw ice water on your post, but try the rotate, on this pattern (with or without a 2nd copy).
You will see the original is not touching top white of the box, but the base is on the line.
Now, rotate it, 180, and watch both top & bottom touch the lines.
AskBud

Woodhacker
09-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey Bud. If this a a glitch, is it just in the view? Or, will it actually carve the pieces at different sizes. I started with one pattern and copy/pasted it down the line. Then rotated every other one. In the original .mpc I made there are sex of the patterns. The upright ones are one size and the rotated ones are all taller. Thanx!!

Richard

AskBud
09-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I guess we will not know until someone carves at least the first two.
AskBud

dbfletcher
09-26-2009, 09:11 PM
just out of curiousity.... i dont have acces to dsigner right now, but if you rotate counterclockwise does it get smaller? what about 360 degrees? 720.... ect. or am i suddenly confusing designer with another program that has that type of rotate capabilities.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
09-26-2009, 09:21 PM
It is smart enough to land on 180 or 0, if you type in the multiples of 180.
The size expands each time it is upside down.

I did a test of a standing Bear and it did not expand when rotated. Therefore, it may just be the design of this original pattern.
AskBud

dbfletcher
09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
again... no access to designer.... but cant u also grab a corner can rotate? That is what i was gettin at the multiples. i guess i'll just stay hush until i get back home tomorrow and can start playin again. what happens if u rotate 180... rotate 180... rotate 180. do it only expand on the first rotate?

Doug Fletcher

Woodhacker
09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Sorry Doug, but ya can't grab a corner and rotate. Works that way in Corel but not Designer. It also doesn't matter how many times you rotate it, it still comes up longer when it is upside down. Of course, I have not carved it yet. Didn't wanna mess up a piece of wood until I had some kind of handle on the thing. I suppose I could get a piece of scrap and see what happens when it acutally carves. May do that tomorrow.
As Bud said, it may be as simple as something in the original pattern. I don't remember other patterns doing this wierdo thing.

Richard

mtylerfl
09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
This behavior is common when the original pattern is not tightly cropped to all the edges of the pattern. Unfortunately, we cannot take the pattern into the Pattern Editor to crop it, due to the pattern encryption schema of Designer.

If you notice, when the cross is brought onto the board as is, the pattern bounding box shows a gap between the "box" and the top of the cross. This is the problem - when the pattern is rotated 180°, the software "fills in" the box and the result is the cross becomes taller when it is forced to fill the bounding box outline.

Designer will display exactly the same dimensions for either the rotated or the non-rotated pattern, because the dimensions are derived from the bounding box itself - which is exactly the same size. It is the pattern itself INSIDE the box that changes.

Again, the fix would be to crop the original pattern tightly. I mentioned that way back when in one of the tips and tricks (I don't recall which one at the moment).

RayTrek
09-27-2009, 09:26 AM
This may not be what you are asking, but another fix would be to flip the pattern vertically, and it will maintain the original cropped size. Then use the copy and paste for the next one, you can then go back to the first one and flip it back, I tried it several times and it worked for me,
Hope this helps
Ray

Kenm810
09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I just tried it Ray, it worked

I did it a little different order, but matched your resules. :smile:

I did the copy/paste first then flipped the copy, top to bottom followed by right to left.
The sizes and measurements remained constant.

Woodhacker
09-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Ray, you da bomb! Don't know why I didn't try that when I noticed it ws stretching out my second (rotated) pattern. Another senior moment I think. Did notice that the dimensions stayed the same, but thought maybe it would still carve the same size. So, I will go forward with flipping the patterns instead of rotating them. Much thanx.

Richard

mtylerfl
09-27-2009, 12:55 PM
This may not be what you are asking, but another fix would be to flip the pattern vertically, and it will maintain the original cropped size. Then use the copy and paste for the next one, you can then go back to the first one and flip it back, I tried it several times and it worked for me,
Hope this helps
Ray

Excellent workaround! Thanks for the tip! (I had to flip horiz. as well to get the same orientation as the original - albeit upside down)