PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 "Carving"?

jonathan68
09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Is there such a thing? I know we have an 1/8 cutting but I keep seeing references (on the machine as well) for a 1/8 carving instead of cutting.

Just Curious. . .

brdad
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I have an 1/8" carving bit that came with my machine. It was in the full bit set. I did get the machine second hand, but unused, so maybe it got into the set by some other means. I used it once accidentally on a lithophane and it came out horrible - of course the CW was expecting the 1/16" bit. I can see where it might work nice on a larger sign, however.

jonathan68
09-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I have an 1/8" carving bit that came with my machine. It was in the full bit set. I did get the machine second hand, but unused, so maybe it got into the set by some other means. I used it once accidentally on a lithophane and it came out horrible - of course the CW was expecting the 1/16" bit. I can see where it might work nice on a larger sign, however.

That's strange that they don't have it in the store anymore? I wonder what happened?

Dan-Woodman
09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Just don't use it on anything with detail,cause it will cut 1/32" larger on each side of center.
later Daniel

dbfletcher
09-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I was thinking it was normally used for the for the CO2 car jig....

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
09-25-2009, 01:03 PM
The 1/8" carving bit looks just like the 1/8" cut with a round " ball nose" instead of the square end mil tip. detail is fine for that type of cutter. also you need set the pattern bit to the 1/8" to see what it will look like in Designer.
The advantage is having a square side cut when milling.

LG

Dan-Woodman
09-25-2009, 01:07 PM
The picture in post #2 here shows the bit is tapered, just like the 1/16" carving bit.
later Daniel

liquidguitars
09-25-2009, 01:10 PM
sorry thats not the 1/8" carving bit.

I know LHR /Chris L gave me one last year to test.

LG

brdad
09-25-2009, 01:11 PM
The 1/8" carving bit looks just like the 1/8" cut with a round " ball nose" instead of the square end mil tip. detail is fine for that type of cutter. also you need set the pattern bit to the 1/8" to see what it will look like in Designer.
The advantage is having a square side cut when milling.

LG

My 1/8" carving bit is tapered just like the 1/16" one (See my pic above).

I do, however, see the ball nose bits you are referring to in the CW designer bit menu.

liquidguitars
09-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I do, however, see the ball nose bits you are referring to in the CW designer bit menu.

Yea that's the one! with "no" taper it's what's called a long reach cutter common in other CNC's I think..

LG

mtylerfl
09-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I also have a 1/8" Ballnose Carving Bit (it is indeed a straight bit like LG and some others mentioned). It has very limited availability right now, and is primarily for the CO2 Car System users for the time being.

A couple months ago, I checked if the availability situation had gotten any better yet as I had a project design that I was thinking about that would benefit from the 1/8" Ballnose Carving Bit. They were still in rather short supply and reserved for the CO2 System, so I put the idea on hold temporarily. Funny, right now I can't even recall what the idea was - guess I need more coffee! (actually, all I have in the house is decaf, so a lot of good that will do me!)

liquidguitars
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Yea its a cool bit, but not really needed that much unless you need a square cut.

LG