PDA

View Full Version : Things running amok in Central Oregon

SharonB
09-25-2009, 12:05 AM
...and I'm hoping it is me or the cribbage board pattern and not my "precious" machine. I've had to replace the z-assembly not to long ago and updated to 1.153 recently.

I flashed the card(s) after updating. I ran the project w/rails, used masking tape, etc. The machine carved the inside pattern fine. It "marked" the lines just fine. But when it went to drilling the holes the whole project fell apart. The machine would drill several holes just fine... then on the other holes it would move back and forth 4-5 times as if it couldn't decide just where it wanted to drill. So, I ended up with the following results.

The JPG below shows the area refered to in the next post....this is what it should look like.

SharonB
09-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Here is what some of them look like. SharonB

DocWheeler
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
SharonB,

I do not think it is your machine since it drilled correctly after it drilled incorrectly.
How did you lay the holes out? copy a group? Hole-by-hole?

I can only imagine the firmware coding but I would immagine that the cause lies in the compile from Designer to what the firmware reads.

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Two Ideas....

1. Masking Tape.... Brass Roller is loosing contact with board... board tipping up too short???? Is board always under the rollers????

2. Use a sled or carrier board to hold board flat, no tipping up, good brass roller contact.

AL

DocWheeler
09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Two Ideas....

1. Masking Tape.... Brass Roller is loosing contact with board... board tipping up too short???? Is board always under the rollers????

AL

Al,

I would say that the board did slip on the brass roller since the "group" is not centered but, looking at the attached, the drill function seems to be yet another problem.

All errors are in the X direction though!

swhitney
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
does the z-truck have any play?? (roller bearings loose)??

SharonB
09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I will check the roller bearings. But the funny part was watching the machine itself trying to make up it's mind just where it wanted to place the holes. And I can't see the board slipping on the brass roller because it did the the carving and the lines accurate.

Doc...I don't know how the board was layed out as it was a shared pattern. I just deleted the inside design and put in my own. I might try and design the board from start and try again as I do want to do a cribbage board or two. But looking at the mpc it looks like all the holes were snapped into place.

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2009, 11:51 AM
ok...

So it is not the board slipping on the brass roller as it is being held secure by two rollers at all times flat to the table.

It is not the board tipping up from being a short board.

It's not because the drilling of the holes area is after the lines and art at the end of the project where the errors all build up and misplace the holes.

It's not because it does some holes then comes back later and finishes them because they were selected and adjusted at one time in the artwork making them compile later in the cut list...

No holes have yellow restraints on them and the project was neither centered or scaled.

........ No clue why this is happening....:-D

AL

liquidguitars
09-25-2009, 01:39 PM
elongated holes tend to be slippage of the board.

Few things to try.

1. Warped board " place the warp down"
2. Tight stop fence. add a small gap between the wood and fence. Make sure the wood moves in x freely before you crank down the table.
3. Bad QC? get the Rock or the new LHR one.
4. New firmware? roll back to 1.134 run a test then try 1.153 note the changes.
5. bad compile. format the flash card every 3 projects or so. turn the unit off after every project.
6. table pressure. Oil table posts, check table for uneven pressure. Add a small amount of oil to the sandpaper rollers bearings.
7. sticky z truck bearings. take a magic marker and make a mark on the bearings, with the power off free hand the truck and note if all 4 bearings move at once per axis.

LG