PDA

View Full Version : trouble centering

ajk
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I AM HAVING TROUBLE CENTERING MY PROJECT ON THE WORKPIECE, IT'S ABOUT1/2" OFF THE CENTER. I TRIED TO CALIBRATE THE MACHINE BUT STILL THE PROBLEM. EITHER CAN BE I DID IT WRONG OR IS JUST DIDN'T WORK.
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?:confused:

REGARDS
ALBERT

dbfletcher
09-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Off center which way? length or width?

Doug Fletcher

ajk
09-24-2009, 07:05 PM
It's The Length.

dbfletcher
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
hmmmm.. my machines are pertty good at that. I'm not sure what to suggest.

Doug Fletcher

ajk
09-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Dough:
Never Happen Before. I Really Don't Know Is Something New.
Thanks For Answer

dbfletcher
09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Is it measureing the board right? Is the size it thinks the board is the same as what you measure?

Doug fletcher

ajk
09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Yes Is Exactly

Steven Alford
09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Is the brass roller slipping?
Do you have masking tape on the underside of the board where the roller rides?

My machine does the same thing, only it is off center by about 1/8" on a piece 12" long. The longer the board, the farther off it is. I have tried everything to fix this and nothing works. It has been off since the day I got the machine. Luckily, it is not a serious problem because I trim the project to the correct size after carving.

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Steve is right, the brass roller between the belts on the keypad side tracks the board length. Any missing wood along that brass roller track will mess you up. I recommend masking tape to give the brass roller something to grip. You well see teeth marks in the tape when done.

Good Luck,

AL

hogiewan
09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
where do you put the tape? just on the bottom? around the bottom/side edge?

Steven Alford
09-24-2009, 08:28 PM
ONly on the bottom where the roller is

dbfletcher
09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Steve is right, the brass roller between the belts on the keypad side tracks the board length. Any missing wood along that brass roller track will mess you up. I recommend masking tape to give the brass roller something to grip. You well see teeth marks in the tape when done.

Good Luck,

AL

I was thinking that at first too... but wouldnt the measurement of the board be off if the brass roller skipped or missed part of the board?

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
This may not have anything to do with your problem but I want to ask...

1) Are you laying out your projects at, or close to, the actual finished size in Designer?

2) If so, when you upload the project to your card are you clicking "Ignore" when you get the Auto-Jig prompt?

3) The board you place into the machine - is it at least 7" longer than your Designer's layout length?

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I put it along the bottom of the board just at the edge near the keyboard.

I buy the bottom shelf cheap stuff at the big box store in the paint dept, about 80 cents a roll. A board foot of tape is always cheaper than a board foot of wood....

Even with that... I had a project doing a cut path cutout decide to take the scenic route through the middle of my artwork when I was taking .25 per pass.... on round 2.... Now I use .45 depth for cut path for a .75 board in Pine and I am happy with that.

I did break my first 1/8 inch bit while cutting. I was using the taped on wood extensions and the board was longer and I think it tipped up slightly with only the masking tape holding the 4 inch wood on the end.

So I call that user error on my part... My out feed extension was out of place.

Midnight and I am still cutting.... Just finished sanding out on the deck.... now a few hours of painting grapes.... Fun Fun..... Need them dry in the morning to stain and poly.... Not enough hours in the day....:roll::mrgreen:

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2009, 11:22 PM
I was thinking that at first too... but wouldnt the measurement of the board be off if the brass roller skipped or missed part of the board?

Doug Fletcher

Just saw this... Your physical Board might not be long enought... A 10 inch long board in Designer and a 17 inch long Physical board will work if you tell it to STAY Under ROLLERS....

A 10 inch board in designer and physical 10 inch board and tell it to NOT stay under rollers and it will measure 10 inches.

Same 10 inch board and you select YES to stay under rollers and it will subtract 7 inches and tell you the board has a usable area of 3 inches...

More about this in Tips and Tricks....

AL

ajk
09-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I Will Try All The Suggestion To See How Work. Sorry To Answer Now But I Came From Work Now 7:30 Am. Thanks For Help I Will Tell The Results

Regards
Ajk

DocWheeler
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
where do you put the tape? just on the bottom? around the bottom/side edge?

Where the brass roller runs along the bottom of the board. Although Al might use it in all of those other places too:mrgreen:

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Where the brass roller runs along the bottom of the board. Although Al might use it in all of those other places too:mrgreen:

Masking TAPE Post it's.....:mrgreen:

AL