PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Infringements

ddouglass
09-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Just out of curiosity how many of you check Copyrights for symbols/emblems that you make patterns for and share or sell such as Sports Teams, Companies, Organizations, etc.?
Most of those have disclaimers that state their logos/emblems/symbols cannot be reprinted or used without their permission.

Old Salt
09-23-2009, 10:13 PM
big bag of worms . everyone has some coments on this OLD news.
has been talked about and talked .

ddouglass
09-23-2009, 10:34 PM
That may be but there are many new users who may not realize it.

wasacop75
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
the best thing to do would be to do a search for the topic.
try a couple of different ways of wording the search.

that should do it....:mrgreen:

cestout
09-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I do not have the software to make digital stuff into patterns, but I always scour an item before I use the probe on it. I have some nifty Indian Village wall hangings in plastic, but they are copyrighted so I won't scan them. I can't teach my grand-kids to be honest if I'm not.
Clint

TIMCOSBY
09-25-2009, 11:28 PM
song at birthdays? thats copyright infring too. thats why all the restaraunts came up with their own tune. do you go to listen to live music events? thats copyright infring too when the band is doing a "cover" of a song. as long as your not trying to make money on it your probably o.k. but as you see it can be taken to the absurd.

hogiewan
09-26-2009, 07:05 AM
thats copyright infring too when the band is doing a "cover" of a song.

The venue should have a license from the publishing compant for all music played live or from the jukebox etc. Most places do, especially those that have live music.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Most music is regulated by this group .... http://www.ascap.com/index.aspx and yes almost all places that have live music have a license from them to do so. And a lot of the stuff that you are going to find has, over time, become a matter of public domain. But, specific logos and emblems should be avoided for resale, if you are making a sign for your garage or Man Cave wall, "you make the call". Now the Greek artisans that carved the statues on the Pantheon aren't going to show up on your doorstep demanding to be paid for the use of their work (public domain). Just my 2 cents......

hogiewan
09-26-2009, 09:43 AM
But, specific logos and emblems should be avoided for resale, if you are making a sign for your garage or Man Cave wall, "you make the call".

For personal use, I wouldn't think twice about using anything. For gift or sale is a wholly different thing

HelpBot3000
09-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Just my personal policy on this, if you think its a bad idea or violating a law, it probably is. Kept me out of trouble this long. :)

TurtleCove
12-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Using a copywrited logo, even for personal use, in your own garage, is illegal.

If you carved it, you must like it. You are getting enjoyment out of someone else's work.....that they own. Just like taking a book from the library, and photo copying it, for your own reading pleasure. Illegal.

Whether or not the owner is gonna find out, or press charges, is an entirely different topic, and I would think beyond these forums.

sk8nmike
12-25-2009, 06:37 AM
I suggest that many of you read the copyright laws as you are giving false information.

As for the rest of us I suggest you read the copyright laws or seek the advice of an attorney if you have doubts about what you can an can't do.