PDA

View Full Version : Too Big?

hogiewan
09-23-2009, 08:54 AM
I am planning to make a new body for my electric bass (a Line 6 Variax Bass (http://www.davemuscato.com/treasurejunkie/variax_big.jpg)). I was going to strip and refinish the body I have, but I got a great one-piece ash body blank on the way.

The body is right at 14" at the widest part. Is this too big to scan and/or carve/cut out?

hogiewan
09-23-2009, 08:55 AM
The reason I am doing this: I have 2 of these, both started just as pictured, but I defretted the neck on one and I want it to have a different look as well.

cnsranch
09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
My only worry would be how to mount the blank. If you put it on a sled, the sides of the sled would be very narrow - 14.5" is about the max for width in the machine.

If you place the blank alone in the machine, the cut out across the edges will come pretty close to the brass roller.

hogiewan
09-23-2009, 10:48 AM
The blank is also 14" wide, so I'm a little nervous about that as the body is 13.75". How about scanning? How wide do the rails for a scanning sled need to be?

cnsranch
09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Wide enough so they're stable.

You can try 3/8" - that'd put you right at 14.5".

James RS
09-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok I'm going to ask this, what if the sled base was trimmed in a 1/4" in size and 1/8" flat steel was used as the rails. You could drill holes and screw them to each side, just a thought is all

hogiewan
09-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Wide enough so they're stable.

You can try 3/8" - that'd put you right at 14.5".

but the body would be up against the rail with no room for the probe to get the edges cleanly. Can a side rail be only a 1/4"?

cnsranch
09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Ok I'm going to ask this, what if the sled base was trimmed in a 1/4" in size and 1/8" flat steel was used as the rails. You could drill holes and screw them to each side, just a thought is all

I really don't see why not - if it doesn't work, you've only wasted some time.

I would say, though, that you don't want that steel running along the brass roller, so I'd put the steel sides in a rabbet, or two pieces of wood for the bottom of the sled - one with the sides attached, and the other under it, equal to the width of the upper plus the sides.

I can't think of any problems electrically - anyone else?

liquidguitars
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
I think 14.70 will work ok It will be close but give it a try..

LG

DocWheeler
09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Here is an example of a reply where I failed to go back and re-read the original post - sorry!

It might only be a minor concern, but I would prefer the use of aluminum rather than iron/steel for safety-sake. It would probably break a small bit if it was hit, but bigger bits might survive. Anything harder than the wood can lead to problems. (but, yes, I do it!)

A layer of tape would give adequate traction for the brass roller I would think.

The rubber (top) rollers last longer with a wider area of wear.

Those are just my thoughts.

If you mount a "blank" that is 14.5" and match the height with the end pieces, you would not need any rails (as long as there was a little material outside the carving top and bottom).

cnsranch
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I was waiting for you to chime in, LG.

BTW (can't remember if I ever asked you this or not), were all your designs originally scanned into Designer with the probe, or is that part of your process a secret ;)

cnsranch
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
If you mount a "blank" that is 14.5" and match the height with the end pieces, you would not need any rails (as long as there was a little material outside the carving top and bottom).

I think his main problem in the beginning deals with scanning the body - it's likely not flat.

liquidguitars
09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I was waiting for you to chime in, LG.

BTW (can't remember if I ever asked you this or not), were all your designs originally scanned into Designer with the probe, or is that part of your process a secret ;)

no I am lucky in that i been building 3D sets and objects for the VFX bis for over 20 years now, used my knowledge to make gray scale topo maps of the my guitars from day one. This gives me the ability to add mass to the object to compensate for the carving bit and make adjustments.

Now we have the STL plugin it's a lot quicker to inport 3D shapes into Designer..

LG

hogiewan
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
LG, check you PMs again.

Also, do you compensate for the carving bit in your models, or do you fix that later in the pattern?

liquidguitars
09-24-2009, 10:51 AM
do you compensate for the carving bit in your models

that's the key..

LG

hogiewan
09-24-2009, 11:31 AM
that's the key..

LG

How so - a 7 degree angle on all edges?

liquidguitars
09-24-2009, 12:55 PM
How so - a 7 degree angle on all edges?

yup. but i just add .125 without the angle.

LG

TIMCOSBY
09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
and reasemble in patern editor of other paint program. cut a slot in the side of the sled big enough to slide the body into and that will give you room on the other side.

liquidguitars
09-25-2009, 01:07 PM
LG, check you PMs again.

Also, do you compensate for the carving bit in your models, or do you fix that later in the pattern?

I did, it's not in my box.

LG