PDA

View Full Version : Center line help

willh
09-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Is there anyway to set the depth for centerline? I'm trying to letter on some very thin veneer and keep going thru on my tests. The veneer is only about .125 thick.

AskBud
09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Is there anyway to set the depth for centerline? I'm trying to letter on some very thin veneer and keep going thru on my tests. The veneer is only about .125 thick.
Several things to keep in mind.
1) Lighter and Thiner Fonts carve less deep.
2) Darker and Wider Fonts carve deep.
3) If you place your veneer on a sled, make the rails higher than the stock by the amount that need to accomplish your desired depth.
4) In order to attain your needed Rail height, run a test similar to the attached photo. Use some decent 3/4 stock and type a test phrase, twice, and carve recessed areas at different depths to determine what you need/want.
AskBud

willh
09-22-2009, 11:31 PM
thanks i'll try in am. Already tried smaller fonts and took out the bold option. Is it ok to set the rails on the sled higher than the box i'm working on, do I need rails on all 4 sides or can I get by with just 2 rails on the top and bottom.

Digitalwoodshop
09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
For your project I would try taping a shim of thicker wood on the board when the V60 bit goes to touch the board surface then remove it. That way it will make lighter letters.... A Fake length of bit touching the board... OR have 2 V60 bits.... Let is find the length and height and before it cuts change to a shorter bit.

AL

AskBud
09-23-2009, 02:02 AM
thanks i'll try in am. Already tried smaller fonts and took out the bold option. Is it ok to set the rails on the sled higher than the box i'm working on, do I need rails on all 4 sides or can I get by with just 2 rails on the top and bottom.

Two rails will do. If you have not built a sled before, do some research first. You need to make sure your item does not move in/on the sled. Some people use nothing but tape to hole their piece and at both ends (which is fine), I use holding blocks with occasional tape if needed. You may need both.

Here is my PDF on sleds: http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Multi-Use%20Sled.pdf
AskBud

DocWheeler
09-23-2009, 07:26 AM
If you are using the 60 degree bit and you want it shallower, tell Designer that you are using the 90 degree bit. I believe that this works!