PDA

View Full Version : trying to cut out

Chris Cordina
04-28-2006, 09:05 AM
I built this shape from multiple lines now trying to cut out but will not let me untill it is a closed shape, it will not let me turn it into a closed shape. I've tried group and merge but to no avail. This would be one end of a stand to hold a cradle

cmorlier
04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi Chris,

It looks like you were trying to connect the end vertex to a middle vertex on the mirror, and this won't work. We only allow end points to connect. You can connect the mirrors to one another at the centerline, if both pieces are selected.

However, there are currently some limitations in the use of mirroring with drawing tools, so you still won't be able to make the cut. This is on the list for improvement.

In the meantime, what I suggest is to get the curve on one side so that you are happy with it. Then attach the vertices to the sides/centers so that they are fully constrained. Create a spline (or set of lines) that roughly mirrors the original curve. The critical thing here is to match the number and types of vertices. Now attach these vertices to the opposite side (or opposite direction from center), with the same distances as there corresponding point on the original curve. This should give you the same effect as mirroring.

Attached is your cradle piece modified using the process described here.