PDA

View Full Version : Carving Depth

klingler
09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
So I'm trying to do a simple picture frame - one piece at a time. The project looks good in Designer, but fails to carve correctly. The board is .75" thick and I'm using the 1/4" Roundover bit to make the outside edge of the piece. When I move the project to the machine and go through the steps before carving, I get a message that the roudover bit will not carve correctly. My only choice is to change the settings in Designer and try again. Before doing that, I let the machine do what it can just to see what the roundover couldn't do. Everything looks good but the roundover doesn't cut deep enough. I've tried looking at the design, but can't see what's wrong. I've attached the mpc hoping someone can tell me why. My gut tells me it may have something to do with the carve region, but not sure what to do about it.

What I have done is add a 1 inch board to the bottom of the piece to be carved thinking that the roundover couldn't get deep enough due to the fact that it's a bit stubby - but that did help.

Thanks for any input.

Icutone2
09-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Could you do the edges after assembly using a router table? This is what I have done to save hours on the cut motor.
Lee

klingler
09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
That was my last resort. I have a table, but it's made for a smaller router. My 1/2" router won't fit. But thanks for the suggestion.

klingler
09-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Since this thread is moving further down the list, I suppose no one knows just what's going on? I really would like to understand what's wrong, even if I end up using a router table. Thanks guys.

RMarkey
09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
We set the max depth of the 1/4" roundover at 0.380".

DocWheeler
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Metallus,

Are you saying that you have limited the use of specific bits so that they can not be used in carve regions like Centerline has been limited?

elfritzer
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey Doc, USA Today has a quick poll today only, asking whether the second amendment says we should be able to own guns! It's at usatoday.com/quick poll. Just thought you might like to know.

DocWheeler
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
elfritzer,

I think that the supreme court cleared that up nicely not long ago.
The reason that I added that link to my signature is that it gives more background to its inclusion in our Bill of Rights.

I hope that I'm not coming across as a militant here, its just that I see the America that I was once proud of slipping away. My grandchildren will not know and be proud of the America that I grew up in if we don't do something.

fwharris
09-24-2009, 11:58 AM
elfritzer,

I think that the supreme court cleared that up nicely not long ago.
The reason that I added that link to my signature is that it gives more background to its inclusion in our Bill of Rights.

I hope that I'm not coming across as a militant here, its just that I see the America that I was once proud of slipping away. My grandchildren will not know and be proud of the America that I grew up in if we don't do something.

Ken,

I'm in total agreement on that. Just look how much it has changed in our life time! What we used to call freedoms are now being taxed or charged fees to the point that many can not enjoy them like we used to do!