PDA

View Full Version : lubricating flex shaft

miked
09-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I just bought a reconditioned machine and I'm eager to start it up, but I want to make sure it's in proper order first. Can I assume that the flex shaft has been lubricated before I received the machine from Sears?
I can find tons of Liquid wrench industrial chain lube with Cerflon, but none with molybdenum disulfide.
Where has anyone found the required lube? I don't want to void any warranty.
Thanks!
Mike

ChrisAlb
09-21-2009, 08:42 AM
I just bought a reconditioned machine and I'm eager to start it up, but I want to make sure it's in proper order first. Can I assume that the flex shaft has been lubricated before I received the machine from Sears?
I can find tons of Liquid wrench industrial chain lube with Cerflon, but none with molybdenum disulfide.
Thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike,

Never assume the shaft is lubed or lubed properly. It may very well be but it never hurts to be sure.

I HIGHLY recommend this but I know folks use the gunk as well.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

Hope that helps.

twiceretired
09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Don't assume anything, check everything, read the post's, tips & tricks, users manual, etc. Chain lube with moly can be found at Auto parts stores, motor cycle shops, and home depot or lowes some times. When you go to lube the flex shaft be carful of the spring inside, the shaft fits in the spring, which is inside of the sheath. Good luck, and good carving, and welcome to the Forum and the world of fun in carving. Don't forget to post you final projects, we love to see them.

ChrisAlb is faster than I, but I'll post anyway. And I do use the Gunk product, so far so good.

robbrigg2
09-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Mike,

Never assume the shaft is lubed or lubed properly. It may very well be but it never hurts to be sure.

I HIGHLY recommend this but I know folks use the gunk as well.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

Hope that helps.

I must add a hearty 'Amen' to that. I made that mistake and it ended up with my shaft shreading the black sheath and embedding itself in the back of the cover before it broke into a million (ok maybe less) pieces. I use white lithium and it works great. I re-apply it after every 15-20 hours or so and have had no problems. I always know when to apply it because the shaft begins to get noticeably warmer.

dbfletcher
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Robbrigg2:

Just to make sure you are aware, LHR no longer reccommends white lithium grease for the flex shaft. I think it was becuase it was prone to working it's way down to the high speed bearings and destroying them.

Doug Fletcher

Wilbur
09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
I use Chain lube with molly and check the cable by hand every time I carve to see it is getting hot.
I am up to 400 hr now with no lube and everything is working fine.
You can see why I am sold on Chain lube with molly.
I get it off the shelf at Oreilly's.

Wilbur

robbrigg2
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Robbrigg2:

Just to make sure you are aware, LHR no longer reccommends white lithium grease for the flex shaft. I think it was becuase it was prone to working it's way down to the high speed bearings and destroying them.

Doug Fletcher

Thanks I did not know that.... I haven't been able to find the chain lube with Molly that everyone talks about. When I go to the different stores and ask for it I get met with Missouri Mule stares

dbfletcher
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks I did not know that.... I haven't been able to find the chain lube with Molly that everyone talks about. When I go to the different stores and ask for it I get met with Missouri Mule stares

Here is a link to the full thread in case you are interested. I also couldnt find the reccommended lube anywhere locally.... I ended up just ordering it from the internet.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=1470

Doug Fletcher

Icutone2
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
I looked all over my area also and ended up purchasing it from the internet had to get 3 cans to make the shipping not feel so bad.
Lee

robbrigg2
09-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I looked all over my area also and ended up purchasing it from the internet had to get 3 cans to make the shipping not feel so bad.
Lee

What site did you find it on?

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I lubricate my Flex Shaft based on heat... I pet the flex at least once a day after a carve checking for heat. If I detect heat, next chance I get while it is still warm, I remove the flex from the top hat. I carefully pull the flex shaft core out and at 3 places I squirt a little Chain Lube with Molly and work it in. I do this 6 inches from either end and in the middle.... I don't get carried away with removing it and soaking it and Vacuum sealing it in plastic... Just a SQUIRT between the fingers.....

Only broke one Flex Shaft and that was using a 3/8 bit cutting letters in hard pine.... A bunch of signs.... That was hard on the flex.... Replaced the core with one of the 2 spare parts I have and I was back up and running.

As far as being concerned about the warranty.... The Flex Shaft is not covered by warranty and even if the machine is new and came without lube on the flex shaft and burned up in the first hour you would still be charged $75.00 plus Shipping for a new flex. That is why it is SO important to be PRO ACTIVE and lubricate it.... Being careful to not OVER Lubricate it... Over Lubricate and it wicks into the top hat and sits on the top spindle bearing and if it get into the high speed bearing caused heat as the oil gets in the way of the bearings.....

AL

ChrisAlb
09-21-2009, 11:40 AM
hehe...never even gets warm, original flex shaft, lube it about every 60 hours or more, no problems.

Crane Cam....hehe

cnsranch
09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Bad news, Chris - thread awhile back said (and confirmed) that Cranecams was bought out, and is no longer selling the lube.

Good news is, my two tubes are as valuable as gold these days :mrgreen:

ChrisAlb
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Bad news, Chris - thread awhile back said (and confirmed) that Cranecams was bought out, and is no longer selling the lube.

I still haven't used more than about 1/6 of the first tube Jerry. I'm not worried. At this rate, I'll be covered for years...LOL

bjbethke
09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks!
Mike

I have a Kubota tractor I needed to clean up my woods after the Ice Storm damage last January. The backhoe has almost 50 grease fittings and the service manual states to lube these with Molly Lube after ever 10 hours of use. Most Kubota Dealers sell the Molly Lube. I found it at Wal-Mart; cost about $1.50 a tube.

The lube works great on my flex shaft. I haven't had much time to do carvings. I have been working most every day burning the trash from the storm. I dig holes to make burning safe. I am getting lots of hours on my backhoe. “It’s fun”:).

fwharris
09-21-2009, 12:48 PM
I still haven't used more than about 1/6 of the first tube Jerry. I'm not worried. At this rate, I'll be covered for years...LOL

Chris,

That is right, a little dab will do ya....

RRettig
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Molybdenum is a premium additive in lubricants. I have found a company in Houston, Texas who manufacturers a moly paste lubricant containing 73% moly. By contrast Gunk’s chain oil with moly contains 1%, Crane’s Cam has 50% and Honda markets a product with 60%. For those interested the Houston firm is Guard Dig Lubricants. The product is GD-570 and comes in two or four ounce containers. The four ounce is $23.30 plus $3.00 shipping. No tax if shipped out of Texas. Contact info@guarddogmolylubricants.com

Steven Alford
09-21-2009, 04:07 PM

uugg!!!
Thank goodness I bought an 8 oz. jar of the stuff. I agree with Chris, this stuff is the way to go if you can find some.

miked
09-22-2009, 07:25 AM
http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/StoreFront

Industrial Chain Lube with Moly
Gunk (part # L7-16)

Conquest Auto Parts
Toll Free 1-866-944-8232

Something like $3.80/15 oz bottle

miked
09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
I finally found the lube with moly. I removed the flex shaft, sprayed it down rotated and sprayed again and let it soak in a puddle of lube. I then wiped it with a lint free cloth and re-installed it.
I am concerned that there still may have been excess lube on the shaft...if it did seep down into the z truck, what could happen, and how can I remedy applying too much lube? I have not yet run the machine.
Thanks for the help!
Mike Dacre

twiceretired
09-23-2009, 07:33 AM
After I wipe mine down, I let airdry for a little while, then wip down again. Some times after I use the machine I'll check the top hat, and if I see the lube in it I'll wipe it down as well. Good Luck, and happy carving.

miked
09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
I was over eager, and didn't let it air dry.
I took it out of the top hat this morning, so lube has been seeping into the top hat for about 9 hrs.
I plan to stick a foam q-tip down in there to try and wick any excess out of the top hat and hope for the best!
Any idea what could happen if the excess lube remains in the top hat?

ChrisAlb
09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Although the lube I use won't liquefy and run (it's more of a grease consistency), I leave a thin film on it when I put back in it's sheath.

As an added precaution however, since the shaft core is wound like a screws threads, when I put it back in I make sure that the rotation would tend to pull the lube up and away from the truck. Perhaps this makes little difference due to centrifugal force with more "liquid" lubes but it just puts my mind further at ease....lol

I would be careful about wiping it "too" dry myself. But with the Crane Cam (or like consistency lube), a thin film stays put.

The fear of lube getting in the top hat is that it would mix into the spindle bearing's grease and cause the bearing to burn out.

If you're concerned that lube has gotten down in the top hat, it's best to remove it to wipe the bearing off. It's just two screws to do so and I would think using a Q-tip would be difficult at best to really clean it off.

cnsranch
09-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Molybdenum is a premium additive in lubricants. I have found a company in Houston, Texas who manufacturers a moly paste lubricant containing 73% moly. By contrast Gunk’s chain oil with moly contains 1%, Crane’s Cam has 50% and Honda markets a product with 60%. For those interested the Houston firm is Guard Dig Lubricants. The product is GD-570 and comes in two or four ounce containers. The four ounce is $23.30 plus $3.00 shipping. No tax if shipped out of Texas. Contact info@guarddogmolylubricants.com

I gotta say, there have been hundreds of posts about this issue. I'm not an expert, but I assume that LHR recommends a lube with moly over, say, white lithium grease, because the moly won't break down, great lube qualities, etc. The biggest problem we have with using it is that a chain lube is too damm runny - you let it seep into the top hat, and you'll burn a bearing out.

A "paste" lube is the only way to go. Chris turned me on the CraneCams lube a couple of years ago. I've lubed the flexshaft ONCE since getting it - the shaft never gets hot, the lube stays in place, it's great.

With CraneCams not available any longer, I'd go with Rettig's recco. above, and be done with this problem.

miked
09-23-2009, 09:16 AM
paste staying in place makes total sense, if you can get it to penetrate the wrapped wires.
Can the paste be applied to a shaft that just got soaked in the spray-on chain lube, or does the chain lube need to be removed first?

cnsranch
09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I'd say yes.

With the paste, use vinyl gloves, put some between your thumb and forefinger, and "squeeze" it in the shaft, running your fingers up and down the shaft.

Believe me, it doesn't take much, just a very thin film is left on the shaft, the rest has been sort of pressed in.

You do not need to "goop it up".

PCW
09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Crane Cams is Back

Performance industry icon Crane Cams has reopened under the new ownership of S&S Cycle, and is actively engaged in manufacturing and sales operations of its ignition and motorcycle lines. The company, founded by Harvey J. Crane in 1953, is newly housed in a facility at 1640 Mason Ave. in Daytona Beach, and a number of long-term Crane employees have joined the revitalized company.

http://69.20.53.62/

klingler
09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I was out looking for the Gunk product on Monday and was unsuccessful. Went to work Tuesday and got into a conversation with one of the Mechanical Engineers there. He said, "I have a 5gal bucket of that stuff you can just have. It was given to us as a sample and we cant use it." Well then! I'll take it! So, I took it. Ended up not being the exact same lube I was looking for, but based on the dirty sticker, it looked like something that would work: Molub-Alloy CO 22. Got it home, soaked the core for a few minutes, and let it run. Unfortunately, it got hot just as quickly as before. I stopped it, soaked it again, and turned it on again. Same thing. I looked up just what it is and found this (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_advantage/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/m/molub_alloy_co_22_tds.pdf). Says 'light viscosity' usage. That would explain it. So, I can't use it, but I have 5 gallons of it! :rolleyes:

PCW
09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
If anyone is interested in finding Cranes Cam Assembly Lube. I just order 4 packs from the local Auto Value Parts Store. It is getting real hard to find since they went under and Auto Value only has 8 packs left within all of their stores. They can be pulled and shipped to your local store for pickup.

Part # 99002-1

They are coming back but you don't know how long it will take to get the product on the shelf.

normd
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Cranes cam lube
Crane 99002-1
Assembly Lube, Two 1-ounce Packages

Item# 270-99002-1
Only $8.99

cnsranch
09-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Best $9 you'll ever spend..............

PCW
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Cranes cam lube
Crane 99002-1
Assembly Lube, Two 1-ounce Packages

Item# 270-99002-1
Only $8.99

Norm,

I tried them first but they are all out of stock because the Cranes went under. I don't know why they still show it. I ordered it from them only for them to send a followup email stating that it was no longer available.