PDA

View Full Version : Unstable depth.....HELP

tagstudios
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
When cutting on boards over two feet in length sometimes the depth goes haywire. This doesn't happen with every carve but there is no way to predict which one it will occur on. The carves always start out great and then about a foot to 16" into the carve the depth either rises or lowers inexplicably.....I keep the machine clean with a shop vac and air compressor but dust build up could be the problem. What do I look under in the owners manual to fix this???.....ANY help would be appreciated. I'm making picture frames for my wife and my grandaughter and my reputation is on the line here guys..........

dbfletcher
09-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Are you sure your outfeed tables are adjusted correctly? Also depending on the length of the boards, you may also need addition supports (rollers) in addition to the infeed/outfeed tables on the machine itself.

I'd look there first. Sounds like the board isnt staying perfectly horizontal thru the machine for its entire length.

Doug Fletcher

earlyrider
09-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Another possibility is the back of the Z motor, under the cover, the disk thingy with the lines on it might be dusty. this would give you an unflat ridgidy liney surface, but you'd see it from the beginning. Are your outfeed trays adjusted right?
Ron
Gremlins!

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2009, 02:01 AM
So like said above, the first thing you check is your in feed and out feed tables. They must be level with the belts.

With 13 posts, I expect you have not had the machine all that long... So dust in the Z Encoder should not be a problem... But I would check it anyway.... The black plastic cap on the back of the Z Motor. Make sure the clear disk is not slipping on the Motor Shaft.

With 13 posts, I would expect this is a very simple fix... It could be your bit is loose in the holder and changing depth.... That is a common new user problem, loose bits... YOU must remove the screws in the bit holders and apply blue lock tite.

Another thing could be a loose head... The 4 smooth posts that the machine rides up and down on, I had the bolts under the machine holding them vibrate loose..... Only on one machine...

Head Pressure might be too loose.... Use a scale and look at your head pressure.

There are a BUNCH of great things to learn in the Tips and Tricks, make sure you read them.

As for Troubleshooting.... LHR has a great bunch of How TOO PDF's...

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service?jmid=646&j=238981726

Good Luck,

AL