PDA

View Full Version : Eggshells

dbfletcher
09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Looks like everyone is walking on eggshells today after all the fireworks of yesterday. Sure seems quiet! Hope everyone comes back soon.

Doug Fletcher

PCW
09-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Doug,

You are so right and I for one have moved on and hope everyone does as well.:mrgreen:

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Yes, we beat that dead horse.....

Even came up with a conspiracy theory about new secret threads on the a new truck... eliminating the ROCK..... Yes.... the Grassy Knoll of CW.... Hey.... They didn't build LHR on the location of the shooter of the magic bullet that killed Kennedy?....

Back to your regular scheduled discussion on Pattern's, Cut Times, Cover Switches, STL and more.....

AL:roll:

geekviking
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
watch out for those ninjas though... :cool:

hogiewan
09-20-2009, 08:17 AM
I guess I missed something

DocWheeler
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM

I was a little lost about this too, Must have been about HELP charges or the new chuck. I was attending more to the responses to Chris Alb's posts.

ChrisAlb
09-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Guess I missed it as well...lol (probably a good thing)

Kenm810
09-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I caught a little of it --- but thought I'd better just bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

lawrence
09-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Nah, no sympathy here. There is absolutely no reason for diarrhea of the keyboard when it comes to forums/treatment of another person or company. Without facts it is unreasonable to make "conspiracy theory" statements that are not based on facts. It is one thing to jokingly implicate someone/something but when the accusals are said seriously and can damage someone's livelihood.... and the accused company owns and pays for this forum! That doesn't mean that they should have carte blanche to censor, but it does mean that we have an additional responsibilty to self-censor ourselves somewhat.

I believe that those that publicly accuse without finding facts out first at the very least owe a public apology to those they accused (falsely it turns out...) I'll be honest, I've apologized at least once on other forums myself.

There is nothing wrong with complaints regarding displeasure regarding product or service, but placing intent upon LHR, the forum members who sell their products, or anyone else (including China folks... I mean comeon!) without legitimate facts is irresponsible and just plain wrong.

I've re-read this post twice... am considering not sending it since I'm so new here, but am going to send it anyway.

Flame away, but I truly believe that right is right, wrong is wrong, and a man's actions (or words) should be based on fact, not supposition
Lawrence

geekviking
09-20-2009, 11:00 AM
lost....
I guess I missed something too... cest la vie! :cool:
(Sometimes we should count our blessings, huh?)

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2009, 11:07 AM
All the comments about the new PAY for Phone Technical support program.

It was like an announcement in Art Class that the students would now be required to pay for there own ART Supplies after getting them FREE forever.. The world is coming to an end....:roll:

I support the move... It shows LHR's Determination to STAY IN BUSINESS....

We would all be sad of they called it QUITS....

Times are Hard for High Tech Businesses like LHR, Growing SO fast as they did...

AL

badger
09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Im actually surprised they did not do that from the start and am for one glad they didnt, saved me a ton of money.

Most companies now a days charge for their tech support to keep the lines open and to keep humans on those lines. I hate the computer generated lines and would pay to keep a human ear on the other side.

I for one hope they hang around. Im sure their overhead cost are not cheap since they really only sell 1 item and support it. Its not like alot of the other companies out there where they have several products to sell and can keep their overhead low where 1 product might do better than others.

I for one see it if they ever slow down selling the machines they have to come up with other ways to keep on supporting it by charging for other services, or they will not be able to keep themselves going.

Im hoping once they increase the stability of the QC that they will continue to build machines that will support a wider width. I truely beleive they could compete in the market today with the others that sell the higher end machines. Hoping to see the Carvewright selling a 4x8 table in the future.

want2b
09-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I am as human as anyone else, the charge for support (after warranty) didn't make me happy. Then I thought about the computer I had just worked on for my sister. Wouldn't boot up, did all I knew how, was down to either a bad memory card or the motherboard. Cost of new memory was $75, ddn't even try and price the motherboard. Did all that I could to find a friend with memory that matched so I could eliminate that part. No luck so I called the manufacturer and guess what, since it was out of warranty they wanted $59 up front to work with me to diagnose the problem. I'm not a rocket scientist but after all I put into it personally and talking to peers I trust they were going to give me the same options, replace memory or motherboard.
I have a Sears Compucarve vs the Carvewright and I decided to take the 5 yr warranty after weighing what I read on this forum. BUT I have several times called LHR and used their FREE help via the telephone to decide if I wanted to fix it myself vs shipping it back through Sears and losing it for a month+. What did LHR owe me? Sears will repair it but they don't provide a help line with competent techs. Possibly LHR in their desire to establish this machine AND build a network of users made a mistake by giving us free support sfter the warranty expires!!!
Shame on them,leading us down the path with expectations of giving us what nobody else does.
Enough of my ranting, just suddenly realised how unique the company was, even giving us this forum to bitch about the tool they built at no charge.
I apologise to any I offend, try not to vent in public>
Rick H

JDPratt
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
I really don't have a problem paying for tech support, lots of companies do it (not saying I like it, but it is sometimes a necessity for the company). But at the same time I have to look at the machine as I would look at other machines I own. Car, tablesaw, dishwasher, etc... Cars also have warranties and they run out over time and the cost for repairs can get quite large. However, cars do offer an extensive warranty and extended warranties can be purchased even after the car is a couple years old (something not available unless you bought the CW through Sears and something I would like to see). For those who own tablesaws, how many repairs have you had to make? How expensive have the repairs been? Other woodworking forums would have lambasted a tablesaw with numerous early and expensive repairs and the companies would have probably gone under due to lack of sales. If you had a dishwasher (newer high tech ones) that required as many repairs as the CW does, would you buy another one of that brand?

I like the CW and its capabilities, but at what point do you say enough is enough. Because of the lack of aftermarket companies making parts for the CW (except for Ron) like there are for other woodworking tools, CW basically has you by the neck once you buy the machine. To justify your 2K purchase you keep paying and paying for repair parts. Again I don’t have a problem with a charge for tech support, but at what point does CW have an obligation to stand behind their product which appears to have numerous problems. It is not like all the repairs that happen after the warranty run out are from “fair wear and tear.” These are the same problems and issues people are having right out of the box.

One issue I will have is that I use this machine in a Government shop. The Government doesn’t believe in extended warranties and I will have to go through a billing agent every time I need something fixed (in the end, you are the ones paying for it). This is a lengthy process as I am finding out (sending in one machine for repairs) and only adds to the time the machine is down. If LHR is now going to charge for support after warranty, will they be at least paying for the $140+ shipping for the repairs while it is still under warranty? I know, I know, you can do the repairs yourself, but what other machine/appliance (under warranty) do you own where the company sends you the parts for repairs and assumes you know how to make the repairs properly?

Sorry if I jumped around a little, my mind is in conflict over this whole thing. I was hoping to add one of these machines to my home shop, but now I may have to reconsider. If I add up all the cost of ownership for the CW (machine, software, repairs, support, shipping, etc…) I shortly approach the cost of a Shopbot or a similar machine.

ChrisAlb
09-21-2009, 09:22 AM
I guess I must have just got one of those "special" machines. I never had all these problems and haven't spent much of anything on parts. Couple belts, 1 new QC after over 400 hours and a board sensor or two. Never had to send it in and other than a couple "Whoops" :oops: on my part, it's always performed very well.

WOW, I've never had any luck at all in my life except bad. Guess I can't say that anymore huh? http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Or is it just proper use and care?...Hmmmm...

I guess I'm even doubly lucky as I've never had to call tech support either. I'm really starting to feel good here....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Chris,

Since I have seen your machine and shop.... Well lets just say the machine looks show room new.... Cleaner than when it came out of the box from China after a test carve on the other side of the ocean....

Clean and attention to detail like keeping the QC and bit holders clean,.....

That is the secret......

As for my secret.... LOTS of SPARE PARTS and a 2HP Dust Collector.... My machines look like they were road hard and put away wet....

I was cutting Wine Rack at 2AM last night.... Was doing Epoxy on Fire Tags late into the night for shippment today... So between batches in the UV Oven I was carving... Bough $250.00 in wood this morning... All for Wine Racks....:roll:

Good Job Chris !!!!

AL

ChrisAlb
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
That's the ticket buddy...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Been spouting about it from day one...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Good job on all the work!! Now go get some rest...LOL

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Buddy... Quitting early tonight... 8:30 PM....:mrgreen:

AL

TIMCOSBY
09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I guess I must have just got one of those "special" machines. I never had all these problems and haven't spent much of anything on parts. Couple belts, 1 new QC after over 400 hours and a board sensor or two. Never had to send it in and other than a couple "Whoops" :oops: on my part, it's always performed very well.

WOW, I've never had any luck at all in my life except bad. Guess I can't say that anymore huh? http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Or is it just proper use and care?...Hmmmm...

I guess I'm even doubly lucky as I've never had to call tech support either. I'm really starting to feel good here....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

got our machines at the same time. no dust collection, no stopping to clean out, no 3 in 1 oil in the chuck, no blowing air into machine and it just keeps on carving. if i showed a pic of what mine looked like right now i would be banned from the forum.

hogiewan
09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
got our machines at the same time. no dust collection, no stopping to clean out, no 3 in 1 oil in the chuck, no blowing air into machine and it just keeps on carving. if i showed a pic of what mine looked like right now i would be banned from the forum.

I just vacuumed mine for the first time this weekend (5th carve session). NOW I have brass roller problems

TIMCOSBY
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
sucked the o ring off.